Chapter seven: The last page

1932
The next morning, both Sammy and Henry were called into Joey's office as soon as they set foot in the studio. Upon entering the dimly lit room, they noticed Susie sitting in a corner, wearing a smug grin as Joey closed the door behind them and motioned at them to sit down on the chairs opposite of his desk.
"Now, I think we all know why you two are here."

Henry shifted uncomfortably, staring down at the floorboards to avoid Joey's gaze; Sammy however held his head up proudly and looked directly at Joey and Susie.
"I have no idea, mister Drew; your supposed girlfriend just ran in on mister Stein and me yesterday. We weren't violating any studio rules, only exchanging a kiss. I don't see anything wrong with that." He grabbed Henry's hand and smiled reassuringly at his partner, receiving a weak smile back from the animator.

Joey sighed, looking at both men. "Well, I wouldn't say that there is nothing wrong with it; two men obviously aren't supposed to be in a relationship together." Susie nodded, looking at them in disgust. "Exactly! It's revolting."

Joey threw Susie a slightly annoyed glare. "Now now miss Campbell, watch your tone; while I would say homosexuality is unnatural, I wouldn't condemn it like that. Some people just have rather strange interests, but as long as it's kept a secret... However, we all know it isn't anymore as of now, and let's just say most of my employees aren't happy with your relationship. Some have even threatened to resign if I didn't take care of the situation."

He sighed again. "I can't fire both my music director and head of the animation department though, so I had to make a choice."
He looked over at Henry, a slightly painful look in his eyes.
"I'm sorry Henry, I know we built this studio together, but I really can't miss a good music director now. We'll have to hire a few more animators, but let's face it, you are replaceable."

Henry looked up at Joey, wearing a blank expression, before looking down at his hand, which was still intertwined with Samuel's; if he had to choose between his job or his relationship, the choice was easy to make.
"I understand Joey, mister Lawrence is impossible to replace; I'll resign as of today."

Joey nodded. "Very well. I'll give you a moment to gather your things and say goodbye."

Henry got up and left the room, dragging Sammy along with him. Meanwhile Susie was hissing with anger. "Why didn't you just fire them both?! Now I will still have to work together with that...filthy music director!"

Joey looked over at the woman, anger clearly visible in his eyes.
"Watch your mouth Susie; one more bad word about mister Lawrence and you're out. I still need him."
He got up.
"By the way, that thing we had: it's over. I don't have time for you anymore."
And with that he left the room, leaving behind a stunned and upset Susie.

Henry had put his personal belongings in a box and was now looking around his office one last time. He didn't really have anyone to say goodbye to, as most of his collegues now had a newfound hatred against him and Samuel.
Only Wally had stopped by to bid him farewell; the young man had almost burst out into tears, despite the fact that the janitor didn't seem to care about much nowadays.

Henry turned towards Sammy, trying to be strong.
"I'm sorry it has to be this way Sam. Just, promise me that you won't let anyone hurt you, alright? I need you back with me tonight, safe and sound."

Samuel hugged the smaller man and smiled reassuringly. "Of course my darling, I can stand up for myself, don't worry." He kissed Henry's forehead once more before turning to leave to the music department. "I'll see you tonight."

1933
Henry just sat on the couch in the house he shared with Sammy, reading a book and impatiently waiting for his partner to return; dinner had been ready half an hour ago, what was taking the music director so long?

He walked over to the kitchen, checking if the food was still somewhat warm; he felt like a real housewife nowadays.

After getting fired from the studio about half a year ago he hadn't been able to get a new job, since the news about his sexuality had spread around the town like wildfire; nobody wanted to hire a homosexual.

Unfortunately, the consequences of everyone finding out about his relationship with Samuel stretched beyond that; both him and the musician had received several beatings, but when they had tried to turn to the police they had been turned down because of their sexuality as well, and had even been threatened to be thrown into jail.

Henry walked over to the window, looking at the gloomy streets outside; it was drizzling and cold. He was getting worried about Samuel; usually his partner was quite on time, not wanting to hang around the studio after working hours.

He doubted for a few minutes before putting on his trenchcoat and stepping outside into the cold, beginning the short walk to the studio; he just couldn't sit around at home like this.

After about ten minutes he arrived, looking up at the building. He hadn't been here in a while, and was surprised to see that the name of the studio had been changed from 'Sillyvision Studios' to 'Joey Drew Studios'.
"Maybe Joey didn't mind me leaving that much after all." He spoke to himself before pushing open the front door, feeling the pleasant warm air lashing onto his face. He stepped inside, taking off his wet coat before walking down to the music department.

"Sam? Are you there?"
There was no response, but strange sounds could be heard. They were coming from a room at the end of the hallway.

Henry quickly paced towards the door, pushing it open. "Now what's going on in h-"
He was cut off by the horrifying sight in front of his eyes.

Sammy was laying on a glowing pentagram, shirtless, surrounded by multiple candles. The man looked strangely pale and didn't seem to be breathing. Joey sat bent over him, holding some strange book, as well as a large knife.

The owner of the studio jerked his head around as soon as he heard the former animator enter the room.
"Henry...you're not supposed to be here."
Joey got up and paced towards the terrified man standing in the doorway.

Henry looked at him in shock. "Joey...what are you doing?!"

Joey grabbed him by his collar with a seemingly newfound, almost inhuman strenght. "You wouldn't understand, my dear friend. Sacrifices must be made. This needs to be done in order to keep the ink machine running."

Henry had heard a lot about the ink machine the past half year, since Sammy would complain about it every day when he came home; how it would break down, flood the hallways, and how a pump switch had to be installed in his office.
Joey seemed to be keen on perfecting it, because according to him it would 'save the company with innovations beyond belief'. Samuel had highly doubted that at the time, and so had Henry.

"It's just some stupid machine! You can't murder people in order to salvage it! Stop this madness right now!"
Henry was trying to free himself to get to Sammy, but Joey's grip was strong, madness visible in his eyes.
"You don't understand." And with that he threw the former animator outside into the rain before locking the door from the inside.

Henry remained at the door, kicking it and banging on it, but it didn't open. He cried, the rain mixing in with his tears; he was powerless, there was nothing he could do to save his loved one. He stayed there all night, not wanting to leave, until he saw the sun rise above the trees.

He got up, getting ready to do the only thing he could; after walking back to his house he threw his most important belongings into a bag, taking them with him as he set off to the train station. He couldn't keep living in this town, he couldn't keep living in this house, not without Sammy.
It was time to leave this godforsaken place.

Epilogue

A letter dropped on the doormat.

'Dear Henry,

It seems like a lifetime since we worked on cartoons together.
30 years really slips away, doesn't it?

If you're back in town, come visit the old workshop.
There's something I need to show you.

Your best pal,
Joey Drew.'

He crumpled up the paper. 'Best pal'?! That man had murdered the love of his life. But he would come visit the old workshop, he sure would; it was time to make Joey pay for what he had done.