Chapter one: Welcome to the studio

1928
"Finally Henry, our own animation studio; this is what we have always dreamed of."
Joey had his arm around his childhood friend Henry, as they were both gazing at the somewhat ramshackle building towering above them. The two young men had purchased it using most of the money they owned, and there was still a lot to do before their studio would be up and in the running, but they weren't worried; all the dreams and belief they needed were housed within them, and with the few employees they had already recruited, they had enough confidence that this risky endavour would be a huge succes.
"Sillyvision Studios", Henry said while gesturing at the building in wonder, "seems like dreams come true after all."

1929
Only one year in the running, and Sillyvision Studios was already thriving; tons of new employees had joined the company, and most of them were quite happy working there. Besides, if they weren't, Joey was there to cheer them up, running the place like a good manager should; his enthusiasm was contagious and spread around like wildfire wherever he went.
Meanwhile Henry, who certainly was a lot calmer and more composed than his businesspartner, ran the animation department as its director, while occasionally working on drawing new cartoons himself.
As the studio was expanding, the quality of the cartoons was improving with it, and before long Joey came with the outrageous idea of composing and recording their own music to go along with the episodes they were creating. Since the income of the enterprise kept rising, the studio's newly employed accountant Grant Cohen agreed to use part of their budget to finance hiring more employees and purchasing various instruments for the soon-to-be music department.

That night, after a long but fulfilling day of work, Henry decided to get himself a drink at the nearby bar. Joey wasn't coming along, he'd said that he still had some stuff to take care of at the studio, so Henry had figured to just go alone. Besides, there would be plenty of other young people, and he himself, being just 23, would fit right in.
There was music playing at the bar, enhancing the pleasant atmosphere of the place. As he was getting a drink, he paid more attention to the music; the pianist was really good. He sat down at a table facing the stage to get a good look at the man playing the piano; he seemed rather young, about his own age, with locks of ash blonde hair lining his face. His bright blue eyes met Henry's chocolate brown ones for a moment after the song was finished, before the rather shy animator glanced down at the table. He wouldn't ever tell anyone, but he took interest in both men and women, something he himself found rather strange, probably as well as the rest of society if they found out.

When the blue-eyed pianist began to sing however, Henry's eyes locked on the stage again. The man certainly had the most velvety voice he had ever heard, and he could only listen in amazement.
Suddenly a thought struck him: weren't they looking for people to run the music department at their studio? This man would definitely be fit for the job, considering his obvious talent. He stayed for a few more hours, listening and staring at the handsome pianist in wonder as he gathered enough courage to walk up to him after the show.

When the musicians descended from the stage at last, he went straight to the man, pushing away his insecurities as he extended his hand towards him. "Good evening, I'm Henry Stein, from Sillyvision Studios. That was quite a show you put on there, you clearly are in the possesion of a good amount of talent."
The pianist looked at him, surprised to see the man he had secretly been eyeing during the performance stand right in front of him. He accepted the handshake.
"My name is Samuel Lawrence, it's a pleasure to meet you. It's not often guests approach me to complement me on my musical abilities, but I appreciate it." He smiled warmly at the man opposite of him.
"So you're from the animation studio; I've been hearing quite some things about it lately. Good things of course."
Henry smiled back. "Good to hear that our studio has earned some fame already! However, we're looking to spread our name even further, and for that we are searching for talented musicians like yourself to compose and play music to accompany our cartoons. I would very much like to invite you for an interview, we could certainly use someone who's as amazing with the piano as you are. Not to mention your excellent singing voice." Henry had to hold himself back not to blush; having this amazing and good-looking man right in front of him was wrecking his nerves. Samuel seemed rather calm as he replied however. "Hmm, it sounds like a great opportunity. Working at a bar for the rest of my life isn't exactely my dream, so I'm willing to give it a shot. When would be a good time for an interview with you?"
Henry was happily suprised at Samuel's eagerness, but couldn't help a slight pink spreading across his face as he shook his head. "No no, I don't take the interviews, the manager and my partner in business, Joey Drew, does. But you can just come around some time tomorrow, he'll be there. He's almost always at the studio."

The owner of the bar came down to send the few people that were remaining home. "Off you go now, it's past midnight already folks!"
Samuel chuckled. "You'd better get going, mister Wells doesn't get happy when he sees guests hanging around his bar 'till late. But I'll be at the studio tomorrow, mister Stein. See you then."
Henry waved at the other man before walking off into the darkness outside. "See you tomorrow, mister Lawrence!"