Falling

The next morning, I hear a high pitched scream coming from Cato's room, it didn't sound like him. I flip over onto my side and see him, he's awake too.

"What was that?" He whispers, I shrug.

Suddenly, Paisley runs through the door. I'm surprised to see her in orange feathers, her dress is covered in them.

"Where is-" she stops and looks at Cato. "Cato. Ah, Good morning." She smiles in relief.

"What are you two doing?" She makes a face of disgust and points to us lying on the bed.

"Sponsors." Cato lies. He turns his head and winks at me.

"Yeah, sponsors." I say.

"Oh good, I thought you two were actually in love!" She laughs historically then walks out. Cato and I turn to each other and laugh, she is so clueless. Then she walks back in.

"Oh yeah, you two are expected in training in two minutes." She says nervously. We both jump out of the bed.

"What? You were supposed to wake us up two hours beforehand!" I shout. She turns around and runs out, clearly avoiding me.

"Paisley!" Cato yells, she doesn't respond. "I'm gonna kill her one of these days." He says.

"Not if I get her first." I smile. I know that we have to hurry but I want at least one kiss before we leave. I put my arms up around his neck and he kisses me. I didn't know it was possible for anyone to ever be this happy. Now, if only we could get the chance to kiss on camera. I pull back and kiss his cheek.

"I'll see you at training. Now go!" I shout and push him out of my room.

"Till then, my love!" He yells back. Luckily, I still have my training outfit on. I was so caught up in the moment last night I forgot to change. But that's okay. I quickly brush my hair and put it up in a ponytail. I slip on my boots and give one last glance in the mirror. My eyes are a little puffy since I just woke up and my makeup is under my eyes. I quickly wipe it away then run out the door.

Then I see the elevator doors closing. No, come on, I have to take that one or else I won't make it in time. I run faster, dodging the couches. I reach the elevator when a hand comes out and stops it from closing. The doors hit the hand then open back up. Cato.

"Thank God, you're a life savor Cato." I thank him and step in. I can tell he brushed his hair, it's perfectly fluffed like always. He presses the basement, floor 5 button. Training is on the fifth floor underground, then there are three more under that.

"No problem, stopping elevators is my calling." He jokes. I playfully punch his arm, it's hard and firm. I love that. I feel so lucky that he's mine. He is the first and last guy I will ever love. He puts his arm around my shoulders and pulls me closer before kissing the top of my head. He's such a gentleman.

The elevator door dings and opens, but the elevator is stuck in between floors. Suddenly, I hear a huge snap.

"Clove . . ." Cato says nervously.

What is going on? Suddenly, he pushes me through the opening and onto a floor. I turn around and see that I am standing on the first floor.

"Cato, what is going on?" I demand. He reaches his hand out of the small space where he pushed me up through, there is no way I could pull him up through it. I grab his hand anyway.

"Clove!" He screams, I recall him telling me his fear of elevators back in District 2, is that why he is so frantic?

"Cato, it's okay, we'll get the fire department here and they'll get you out." I convince him.

Suddenly, I hear another huge snap and the elevator falls. His arm snaps as the elevator pulls him down.

"Cato!" I scream. Then I hear it hit the bottom. I look over the edge drowning in tears. It bursts into flames,  sending an orange glow up the elevator hole.

"Cato!" I scream louder.

There is no way he could survive falling eight floors or escape the blaze.