Helmets

The cleaning team worked fast. They waxed my arms, legs, and eyebrows. They clipped and polished my nails, they styled my hair, and they did my makeup. After they leave, a woman in a red duster coat walks in, her sparkly gold makeup goes perfectly with her red coat. Her eyes are black and her eyelashes are the only normal ones I've seen since I've entered the Capital. And her hair is black and cut really short. She looks like a fairy, a pixie. She hands me a gold gladiator costume. I don't really know what I think of it. Are we playing dress up or something? Do I really have to wear this?

"Hello, Miss Kentwell! I am your clothing stylist, Rosemary. This is your tribute parade costume! It resembles your district in every single way. The cut off sleeves show your arms and show that you are strong. Your district is masonry, masonry is strong. Get the picture? Now, go try it on!" She smiles and runs out. Her coat sways back and fourth as she runs. Her figure disappears behind the door but her coat stays long enough for the door to slam shut on top of it. I hear her scream from behind the door. Capital people. Jeesh. I wonder if this is the first time this has happened. I get up and open the door. She snaps her coat back so fast I didn't even see her expression before she shut the door in my face. That was quite rude but who am I to judge? I get dressed into the sparking gold plated vest and the shimmering skirt. It fits perfectly. Before opening the door, I give a quick glance at the mirror. I actually don't look like an idiot in this thing. I smile to myself and open the door. I'm startled as Rosemary fits a gold helmet with wings on my head.

"Oh, good it fits! Do you like it? Sorry, I forgot to give you the helmet earlier. But wow, you look amazing!"

"Thank you." I answer and smile. Suddenly a man's voice on an intercom, buzzes in.

"All tributes, please report to wing B, backstage. Thank you." He finishes and hangs up.

"Oh! Come on dear, we can't be late for the tribute parade now can we?" Rosemary shouts and grabs my wrist rather harshly.

We run out of the door, down the hall, down a few more dark hallways, then we enter a large outdoor square. Twenty four horses are lined across the ground connected to carriages, two horses each. I notice some tributes are already in their cart and others and standing near it, talking to each other. I search and search for Cato, I can't see him at all though. You'd think that by how tall he is I'd be able to find him fast. But no, I can't. Rosemary disappears to somewhere and I'm left standing beside a man wearing a microphone headset and holding a clipboard. He looks busy so I don't bother him.

I make my way up the line of carts and to the second one. Still no Cato. I wonder if he's wearing an outfit like this, too?

"Clover?" I know that voice. And I definitely know that word choice of my name. Cato. I turn around and boom, there he is. His muscular arms stand out in the sleeveless costume but his blue eyes stand out even more. I can even see his perfectly fluffed hair under his helmet. His expression goes from confusion to relief.

"It's Clove." I say. He starts laughing.

"You look amazing. I didn't even recognize you at first. I didn't know it was possible for you to get even more beautiful." He convinces me. I can feel myself blushing.

"Thanks, but don't expect me to look like this everyday. There was a lot of pain in the making." I add. We both smile and hug. When I'm in his arms, I'm home. Safety and love surrounds me.  Every time I see him, my heart feels like it's falling. But when he smiles, white fluffy wings emerge and my heart flies away. Cato pulls away and stares at me dead in the eyes.

"I like your helmet." He says.

"I like yours, too." I say. Then I didn't mean to say it but it slips out.

"I love your smile." I admit. And of course that cute sexy smile of his grows upon his face.

"Clover, I-" he begins to say but is cut off by the sound of trumpets blaring, announcing the beginning of the parade. Cato and I both hop into the carriage and begin moving forward.