5. Maybe It's An Act And He's Just A Sarcastic Little Shit

Start from the beginning

"I'm an only child. My parents are doctors so I spend most of my time alone doing homework and other stuff. Sometimes I stand in front of the mirror and just look at myself. If you couldn't tell already, I'm quite ugly and fat and -" I laugh, feeling silly for over-sharing. "Sorry. You didn't need to hear all of that."

A blush creeps into Eddie's cheeks. "It's fine. I think. That's pretty cool that your parents are doctors. My mum's a jeweller and my dad owns a bookstore. We're not the richest family."

"That's OK," I say, a bit too quickly.

Eddie raises a brow and chuckles slightly.

"You know, it's not always the best when you don't get to see your parents much," I frown slightly at the thought of not being as close to my parents as other people. Like Bianca. Or Thomas. Or Bailey.

"Well, I'm sure you have a heap of friends to hang with, right?" Eddie nudges me with his elbow.

I smile and shrug, "Not really. I only have one really close friend and that's Thomas." I think I see a flicker of jealousy spark in Eddie's eyes but it's gone within a second. "I'm not really the most popular person in school. If that wasn't obvious enough. Fat girls are meant to be lonely." I gesture down at my body.

"Hey. That's so not true," Eddie says, soothingly, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Besides, I'm now your friend. And we can exchange numbers so we can talk. If that's OK with you."

"That's absolutely fine," I say cheerfully.

Eddie and I exchange numbers and quickly get back to work. We talk more about our hobbies and interests. Eddie's into reading, running, motorbiking, soccer (how right was I?), wants to visit Rome someday and likes listening to music. Eddie recommends that I ride in his motorbike one day. I say I'd rather live. We continue to work side by side and talk as if we've known each other forever. I never thought motorbike boys could be nice. Maybe it's an act and he's just a sarcastic little shit underneath. Hey, that sounds like me!

At the end of our shifts, which is at 6, Eddie stops me to ask if I want to hang out over the weekend.

"I'll have to check with my parents - when I get a moment," I roll my eyes while twirling my keys on my finger, almost mechanically.

"OK. They better say yes. Maybe I could bribe your mum with some of our best jewellery," he chuckles.

I smile at him, thinking about how much of a great friend he will be. Maybe fat girls aren't supposed to be lonely, I think.

"Anyway, I guess we'll talk soon and maybe I'll see you on the weekend," I shrug, mainly to myself.

Eddie steps in a little closer to me. The heat from his body surges around me, and I dismiss the knowledge of the red-looking heat building in my cheeks.

"I'm really glad I met you," Eddie looks down at me. His finger comes up to my face and tucks a stray hair behind my ear.

"Me too," I look down, afraid that Eddie might see me blushing. Eddie shifts slightly and his hand goes down. I suddenly realise which direction it looks like I'm looking in and I quickly step back and look around.

We catch each other's eyes and I open my mouth to speak.

"Um, I wasn't-"