4. Your Brain Is As Big As My Thigh Gap

Start from the beginning

Just as Bailey stands, Thomas arrives with another guy trailing behind him.

I jump up when I see him. Bailey is looking down at me.

"I guess I'll see you for drama class," he says.

"Yeah, I guess so," I nod and Bailey walks away.

"Hey," says Thomas. "This is Samuel. You guys know each other, right?"

Samuel is blonde and his frame is tall and lanky.

"Hey," Samuel greets. "I think we've had a couple of classes together."

"Yeah, most likely," I say, knowing that what he says is, indeed, true.

"Great!" Thomas clasps his hands together. "Then we'll be sitting with Sam and his crew today, Marty. If that's OK with you."

"Uh," I start uncertainly. Thomas has never decided to branch out before and sit with other groups. What makes Samuel so special? "Sure. I don't mind."

But really, it bothers me for the rest of the morning, even in drama, one of my other favourite subjects.

"So, we're just going to play a quick game called 'Change.' In this game, we have two or three people acting and a caller who calls out 'change.' The group will start acting out any random scene. This caller will call out 'change' when he wants the scene to change. And if the actors take too long, then they're out. Everyone understand?" our teacher, Mrs Gregory, explains.

"Yes," people mutter.

"OK, let's start. Thomas, you can be the caller. Everyone else, choose your partners and then I'll choose who'll go first," the teacher explains.

Glancing beside me at Thomas, we exchange a frown. I was looking forward to having a partner in this game instead of being by myself. Thomas gives me a shrug and then I see his gaze flick over to Samuel, who is laughing with his other friend, Owen.

Just as I am about to go up to the teacher to complain that I have no partner, someone taps me on the shoulder with a big grin and a glint in their eyes.

Can you guess who it is...

Correct.

It's Bailey.

I smile back at him and cock my head, giving him a questioning look.

"Hey," I say.

He looks down, surveying me. I realise that he's nearly a head taller than me.

"Got a partner yet?" he asks.

"No," I huff. "I was going to go with Thomas but he's called now." I instantly feel self-conscious about myself as I catch Bailey looking me up and down. I cross my arms across my stomach as if blocking him from seeing my insecurities.

"Right," he says, not taking his eyes off me. "Wanna be my partner?"

Stunned by this query, my eyes widen. Bailey chuckles under his breath. "Sure," I say, suddenly breathless.