To Forgive

W O R D S : 2127

D A T E : 7/15/18

I was a liar. Not a good one, either. My parents used to say I had crocodile tears for how easily I could shed buckets of tears at anything. This was especially useful when I wanted to get Zach in trouble.

Now, most of my tears are real.

I couldn't switch classes, not this late in the year. It was an empty threat. There was no way around me seeing him again, considering we were neighbors. All there was to do was sit in my bed, and frown at a wall for long periods at a time.

One Monday, my heart was heavy. My parents had come home from the conference, and the comforting smell of waffles woke me up from my deep slumber.

I got myself ready slowly and quietly, my brain still mulling over what had happened over the weekend. It was such a cat and mouse chase, only it went in circles.

Mustering enough energy to get out of bed, I looked around my bedroom floor for clothes that would be okay to wear. I found some jeans and a slightly wrinkled shirt, and put those on. I let out a huff every time I bent down, my bones creaky and tired.

My mother gave me a soft smile when I came into the kitchen, walking forward to hug me. I had been asleep when they arrived last night, and we hadn't seen each other in a few days.

I let her hug me, and even made an attempt to hug back, before walking over towards my place at our table.

"Ruby, you okay? You're looking a little rough," My mother eyed my outfit up and down, wincing at my hair. I shrugged, taking a bite soft waffles. Pouring a generous amount of syrup on them, I took my time eating.

I was late when I had finished, but my mom didn't say anything. She looked like she was fretting in the corner, but still gave me a loving smile when I waved goodbye.

I grabbed my bag on the way out, and got into my car quickly. Patting the console lovingly, I sighed. It was going to be an interesting day.

I drove quickly, but not speeding. I knew I wasn't going to make the bell, even if I tried. So, there was no point in trying.

It was nice not having to fight to get into my parking place when I got to school. A few stray cars were pulling up as well, but the parking lot was nearly empty.

Even the walk to the building was sluggish and calming. In the back of my mind, I wondered if I was just serene, or I had given up. Or If I was serene because I had given up.

I pulled the respected books out of my locker, before going to class. Nobody said anything to me as I walked in, and I only got fleeting glances. They were talking loudly amongst themselves, and Fletcher was doing some silly presentation in the back.

Connell was staring at me when I sat down. Normally he would be doing something like grading papers, looking the opposite way of me as I walked in. Today, he was doing what I did so often. Stare.

I looked up to him, my tired eyes meeting his. He didn't hold any particular expression. A hint of conflict crossed his eyes, and his eyebrows scrunched down, before returning to normal.

I watched him dully, not having enough energy to do much else. I sighed, glancing down at my empty desk. He shifted in his seat, looking uncomfortable.

Tapping his fingers on his desk, he contemplated something in his mind, before motioning for me to come up. I looked around, before pointing towards myself. He rolled his eyes, and once again curled his fingers inwards to get me to come.