Chapter 7

I guess you could say that my wish was granted. My nightly visits from Kai over the past few days have been as great as the first. I've been having trouble finding situations to put myself in in order to be compelled. But, he still comes every night and we have sex. Like, we have the best sex that I've ever had. I mean, I'm only eighteen and I'm a freshman in college but still. Amazing.

Although, I need to figure out something soon. Otherwise, Kai might decide that our deal isn't worth his time. These are things that run through my mind every night after he leaves. He says that it's fine and that he doesn't need any extra right now. But, I'm still wary of when he might finally flip a switch and turn on me.

I sit at my desk at around 10:45 on a random weeknight. Winter break lasts for three more weeks and New Year's Eve is rapidly approaching. I sit on my bed applying the new body cream my mom got me for Christmas after my shower. My window opens suddenly and a little harshly causing me to jump. I relax when Kai begins to crawl through.

I chuckle to myself as I continue massaging the pleasant cream along my arms. "You're early tonight."

"Got a problem with it?" He asks weirdly as he struts over to me.

I furrow my eyebrows and stand up to meet him halfway. "No," I scoff with a small smirk. "Although, I've been meaning to ask why you keep using the window when you can evaporate out of thin air..." I tease.

"Well," he starts with a sigh. "That would be because every little use of magic drains it. And I only have so much in the tank. Speaking of which..." He grabs my arms roughly, much more roughly than the very first time.

I squeeze my eyes shut, and just like I figured, nothing happened. Like I said, I haven't been able to get compelled or any other magic used on me. The only thing I feel is the pinching of Kai's rings on my skin. I slowly open my eyes to find him glaring at me.

He lets go, pushing me back down on the bed as he steps back. "Y/n, we had a deal," he tisks.

"I know. And I'm trying, but-"

"If you were trying, I would have a boost of magic right now," he says slowly. Almost like he's trying to remain calm but he doesn't much care if he loses it.

I swallow the tiny fear that has lumped in my throat as I sit up. "I am! Do you know how hard it is to get compelled when everyone magical is avoiding you? I literally can't find them anywhere! And when I do, there's not really any reason for them to compel me!"

At this point, I have risen to a standing position. My tiny stature is no match for his menacing one but I stand firm. "Then, create a reason!" He raises his voice and it breaks into an exasperated laugh.

"I don't understand why you're mad at me! You should still have a whole hell of a lot of magic from the border. That will last you months!" I try to reason. Why I'm trying to reason with an angry sociopath is beyond me.

His gaze turns hard and he advances until he's less than a foot away from me. "Because you promised to help me. I'm starting to think that you don't take that seriously," he says icily.

"But, I do," I say sincerely. "Zero hesitation, remember?"

He tilts his head back as he looks me over appraisingly. "I am so glad you feel that way..." As he tilts his head forward I can see the dangerous glint in his eye that accompanies a hollow smile.

"Why-"

I stop speaking as I feel something plunge into my gut. It went in quick. So fast that I almost wouldn't have known it happened had it not been for the immeasurable sharp pain. I look down and find a knife buried inside me to the hilt.