Chapter 1

50 Years Later...

~~~

Part 1

~~~~~

"Doctor, it's nearly midnight you should get some sleep." A red, spherical robot yawned to his owner.

The man glanced at him. "You're a robot, you shouldn't be yawning."

"But my programming says that, since it's very late, you should head off to bed." He retorted.

The Doctor glared to the robot in a deeper cut than before. "Shut up, Orbot. I could be close to finding a breakthrough that might be my master plan."

If he was programmed to, Orbot would have rolled his eyes. "You say that every time, why is this any different?"

Eggman grumbled something like "I should have programmed you to not ask questions...", before answering. "I think there might be information on my grandfather's computer that was never discovered by GUN. If my hunch is right, this information could finally lead me to achieve world domination! Now stop bothering me and go to your charging station like Cubot did a couple hours ago." He turned back to his computer and continued to type in search of whatever information he was set on finding.

Orbot moved away from the Doctor, to the edge of the door that led to the charging station for himself and Cubot. Orbot didn't need to be charged that night. His battery could last up to seventy-two hours and the last time it was charged was that morning. It was more out of whatever courtesy the Doctor gave his robot companions, giving them the closest thing to the illusion of sleep.

Cubot was the more obedient of the two robots, following almost all of Eggman's orders, even if he was the air-head of the duo. Cubot went to his charging station almost two hours ago, following the recommended curfew the Doctor set for them. Orbot knew that he should follow suit and go to the station like the Doctor said. After all, he was unpredictable, especially at the late hour.

But he wanted to know what Eggman was up to, specifically what he was looking for. It was very rare for him to stay up that late, and if he really believed he was onto something, he wouldn't stop until he got it.

Orbot remained by the entrance of the door into the main room, waiting for some sign that the Doctor found what he was looking for. As time passed by, however, Orbot's confidence started to fade as his internal clocked reached closer to midnight.

But three minutes before the next day, he heard Eggman give a cheer, then a scream of anger. Orbot went back into the room, but the automatic doors didn't make his entrance discreet.

"Orbot!" Eggman's mood shifted into one of annoyance. That happened a lot between the two of them. "I told you to go back to your charging station!"

"I wanted to check up and see how your progress was going. It seems that you made that breakthrough you were talking about." He moved closer to Eggman, jumping onto his desk and looking at the holographic screen.

Eggman sighed and grumbled like he didn't want Orbot to be there, but allowed him to stay. "Yes. I found a secret file that was on my grandfather's hard drive. Specifically looking out for any files that would have been seen as irrelevant to the government or any outside eyes."

"But what if they are nothing of interest?" Orbot dared to ask the question.

Eggman looked at Orbot, eyes gleaming of knowledge of the ignorance his companion had. "Knowing my grandfather, nothing on his hard drive would lack suspicion. I had a feeling that he was hiding some information that should have been kept away from prying eyes. And this has to be it!" He pointed to the screen and Orbot looked at it. The files surrounding it seemed to hold information that didn't appear too important. Data on family trees and other information about the Robotniks. But the one file the Doctor pointed out, simply titled Miscellaneous, didn't seem out of place.

"And how do you know it's this file that holds secret information that hasn't been discovered?" Orbot asked, glancing at Eggman.

"Because..." Eggman double-clicked on the file. And it opened to a box that said the file could not be accessed with his computer, that it had to be searched on the main computer. "This specific file, unlike any of the other files on his computer, has to be opened on the mother computer where the hard drive is at. It can't be accessed through any outside computers."

"And how do you plan to get that information out? It's not like you can just waltz onto the Space Colony ARK and get that data. GUN would be highly suspicious of your actions."

"I know, I know." Eggman brushed it off as if he was a little kid. "I need to contact someone who can access that information without suspicion." A few moments of thought led to a glow in his eyes. An idea of who would suit the job.

"Who are you thinking of, Doctor? I hate to burst your bubble, but nobody would be crazy enough to do what you want them to do."

"For once, you're right Orbot. But, if the rewards are tempting enough, I can get a certain group to do anything." The Doctor grabbed a nearby sticky note and wrote a frantic note that Orbot couldn't decipher even if he tried.

Orbot thought that Eggman sounded like a madman, but that was nothing new. The Doctor had his sights on obtaining whatever information was in those files, and nothing would break his hold until he got what he wanted.

---

Sonic found himself on the Space Colony ARK.

He found it odd, as he hadn't thought about it in a while. Sonic had no idea why or how he got here; all he knew was that he was on the ARK.

He was in one of the main rooms. The room where Eggman sent Sonic into a capsule, sending him into space to die. The room where, according to Amy, she convinced Shadow to help save the world when the Biolizard took control of the ARK and sent it on orbit towards Earth. The room where Sonic said "Sayonara, Shadow the Hedgehog.", believing it would be the last time he'd see him when he saw Shadow fall to his death after saving the world.

But he found out shortly after that adventure, that that was not the case. Shadow was very much alive, by some sort of miracle.

And to his surprise, he found that same hedgehog staring out the window, keeping his gaze on Earth.

"Hey, Shadow!" The blue blur called out.

In typical Shadow response, he ignored Sonic's call. Sonic shrugged and walked over to his side.

"It's a beautiful view, isn't it? I see why you love it so much." Sonic started small talk with Shadow, trying to break the wall he held around himself at all times.

He didn't say anything. Not a grunt or telling him to shut up, not even giving him the slightest of glares. Only keeping his gaze out the window to the crystal blue color of the Earth.

"Shadow, what's up? Even you're not this closed off to me." Sonic asked in a direct tone, turning to look at him.

Shadow looked at Sonic out of the corner of his eye. "You need to be careful, Sonic."

"Wait, what? Are you trying to threaten me?" Sonic teased, knowing that Shadow wouldn't hesitate to hurt him if he wanted to get his way.

Shadow exhaled a heavy sigh. "I shouldn't even try to convince you. You think this is a game like everything else you do."

Sonic's playful grin faltered, replacing it with a serious face. "What do you mean, Shadow? Why do I need to be careful?"

Shadow's gaze fell back to Earth. "Change is coming, I can feel it. And I don't know why but it somehow involves you." The last word held a little more grimace compared to the rest of the sentence.