Chapter 18

CARMELA THOMPSON

"What's wrong?" I asked Cyrus.

After swimming, playing and cuddling in the water for about an hour and a half, he told me that he would head out of the water first to dry himself up and that's what he did.

He went to sit at a huge rock not too far from the stream and now, when I turned to look at him, the smile he had awhile ago has changed into a scowl, something he often wore back in his office whenever he saw me.

Cyrus didn't answer me. He's just looking at me. His stares all passing through me without him realizing it. The kind of look that told me he's in deep thought.

Telling myself that he probably didn't hear me, I decided to get out of water, leaving the comfort it brought to my skin just to make sure that Cyrus is alright.

I walked towards him, his eyes snapping at me but he didn't say a word, even his expression did not change or falter a bit.

He looked up to me when I was right in front of him, towering his frame. I knelt in front of him, not letting my left knee to really make contact with the ground as I used my right leg for support.

"What's wrong?" I asked once more. His eyebrows furrowed even more and I noticed that his fists are clenched tightly.

Cupping his left cheek with my right hand, he leaned into my touch, closing his eyes in the process. I smiled inwardly. I'm glad that he's more relaxed now, although I can still feel his anger about something I do not have any idea about.

Reaching out to hold his clenched hand with my free one, I unfolded his fingers, slowly, as his eyes fluttered open. His face softened and I heard him sigh. Intertwining our fingers, I smiled at him weakly.

"What's wrong?" I asked for the third time.

"Nothing." Was his reply. He didn't look at me this time as he looked on the ground.

Something's telling me that he's lying but should I question him more? I understand that he may not be comfortable in sharing whatever is bothering him for it's only been hours since we started what's going on between us. I do not want to sound pushy either for it might give him the wrong idea.

Also, I don't think he wanted to lie to me because he didn't trust me. May be, it's just too much for me to handle or it really has nothing to do with me. What he needs now is someone who would understand him and some space, and that's what I am giving him.

Nodding my head lightly, I smiled at him.

"I know I'm not in the position to ask..."

"Carmela..." He said, cutting me off. I shook my head no at him before he misunderstands whatever I am about to say.

"Cyrus, it's all right. I understand if you don't want to get me involved or something but I want you to know that whenever you're ready to share, I'm all ears." And a small smile broke through his hard expression. A solemn smile that shouts a thanks.

For a few seconds, we just stayed there, feeling the cool breeze caressing our skin but feeling warm against one another.

"We should probably head back home, it's getting chilly out here, I don't want you to catch a cold. Also, I think we have to go back to the city." He said with sincerity.

I smiled at him. It is true that Cyrus is cold and ruthless especially in business. I have not only heard about it but saw it. I have experienced how he gets when he's furious and that is something no one would wish to see.