CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

 He closes his eyes and grits his teeth

He closes his eyes and grits his teeth. "Go away."

"Please, it's not safe Colton!" I plead, shivering in my thin pyjamas.

He says something else but it's unheard over the loud bang that echoes around the woods, a strike of white alive in the sky. I jump looking at the other girls who huddle together.

"Maybe we should let the counsellors deal with him?" Edna shouts barely audible over the wind.

No. No one is left behind.

I hunch my shoulders, clutching my fist tightly and with new found determination, march over to the edge of the cliff despite my friend cries.

Colon peers up at me through his hair that is flat against his forehead. My hand reaches out and I give him a small smile trying to hide my chattering teeth.

When he doesn't more or say anything, I bring my hand back to myself, shifting my weight from foot to foot.

Finally, Colton sighs. "Go back to camp it's not safe."

"Why are you out here then?" I squeak out.

He stares up at me, water trickling down his cheekbones. "Because it's safer for me to be here."

I frown. Sure Colton wasn't very nice and a bit of a bully... and maybe sometimes he took things a little too far, but he didn't deserve to sit here all alone, soaking wet and sad. Nobody did.

"Well, I'm not going back if you don't go back."

He scrunches his nose. "Are you stupid?"

"Just as stupid as you."

He glares at me and I glare back. It's a pathetic one compared to his but give me a break, I didn't have much practice standing up to others.

"Would you not be happy if something happened to me?" he asks eventually.

I stare at him funny. "Why would I be happy?"

"Because I... you know... bully you." Oh.