CHAPTER FOUR

Most vampires are extinct, but not all

Braden is a vampire. With his ghastly pale skin and his harsh brown hair – he's the walking definition.

So, imagine my surprise when I turned up for our first activity to co-council and be met with a completely red tomato.

Well, not entirely.

"I swear to god, Braden, that better not be what I think it is on your back."

A look of confusion covers his face momentarily. Then, bingo, he gets it. He smacks his forehead in frustration before grabbing his t-shirt and pulling it on. Which is a shame.

"Blame Tanner, he's the idiot who drew the dick onto my back while I was sleeping on my stomach in the sun. I didn't think it would leave a damn tan line," he mutters, "Fu–"

"–dging."

"–dumbass."

"That's not much better." I laugh. "What's with all the colourful language anyway, there's literally innocent ears everywhere."

"Sorry, sorry, I'm just annoyed at Tanner. The goddamn idiot. Plus, Colton is pissing me off."

"Why?"

"No reason...he's just a, uh, an idiot too. You know, the usual." Considering he vanished six years ago, no, I'm probably not used to his 'usual' but I don't press.

"I cannot fu–wait, what the hell are you doing?"

My hand lifts to my eyes and I shield them to focus my view. Looking around, I try to see what I'm looking for.

"Again, what the hell are you doing?"

"Oh, nothing much, just looking for Braden."

"Have you lost your head? I'm right here," he deadpans.

"Nah, you're definitely an imposter. One, you're not white and two, you're not innocent."

"What are you on?"

Nudging him, I laugh, winking. "I'm just joking with you. But you do have to admit, you grew some serious balls this year, planning to ask a certain someone out?"

Crimson doesn't describe the colour he turns. Picture this: a burnt guy, blushing.

"Uh- no- what- no- eh-" And just like that my innocent Braden is back.

"C'mon, let's just go start the activity." I chuckle.

Begrudgingly, he stomps along beside me. "I hate you," he grumbles.

"I love you too."

A hint of a smile dances on his lips before he sticks his tongue out at me. Naturally, I, like any responsible adult, stick mine back out in retaliation.