CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

I can say with confidence that Colton hadn't exactly evaded my mind these last few days

I can say with confidence that Colton hadn't exactly evaded my mind these last few days. Rather the contrast, it's like I couldn't get rid of him. Which isn't exactly a new territory for me but annoying it was nonetheless.

"Alexis!" I turn my head from washing a paint brush to see Edna approaching. "Gianna told me to come help you tidy up the art supplies."

I smile. "Oh, thank god. There's pasta and glitter everywhere!"

"Macaroni necklaces?"

"You know it," I say, before reaching for the dustpan and handing it to her.

She takes it with a grimace. "Guess I'll get started then."

I place the now clean paint brush in the pot next to me before grabbing another one covered in a charming brown colour that reminds me far too vividly of puke. Grimacing, I shake my head dowsing it in water, thankful to find the (albeit stained) white strands making a reappearance and the paint trickling down the drain in mucky puddles. Cleaning sucks...

We continue in silence for a while before Edna breaks it. "So, where did you and Colton disappear to three nights ago?"

My head snaps up. "You saw?"

"Hard not to see when you've spent so many years observing the crowd rather than being immersed in it. And no, no one else saw." Well not no one.

"Oh."

She lifts her chin and places a hand on her hip. "So?"

"He seemed sad." I shrug.

"I didn't realise you cared about him?"

"I don't... or at least I dont think I do?"

She frowns. "He's not exactly a nice guy Alexis."

I sigh. "I know. But what if there's two sides to him? There's the Colton that destroyed Peyton's life many summers ago. And there's the Colton from this summer who doesn't really seem so bad, just troubled."

"Look, just be careful. If things are going someone's way, everything's chill. But what happens when a lion gets hungry? He hunts," she warns.

"You and your expressions." I laugh.

"Are like peanut butter and jelly; never apart!"

I grimace. "Yuck."

"Wait, you don't like it?" She gapes, her glasses twitching on her face.

"Ew, no."

"You have not lived."

"Tell that to the very, much alive heart beating in my chest."

"Fine, I will!" She takes a step forward, lowering, but not far because she's as tall as a mouse, her head to my chest. "You. Have. Not. Lived."

I push her away laughing. "God, you're annoying."

"It's my purpose." And like that her expression turns serious. "Have you heard from Peyton?"

Wincing, I nod. "Why?"

"Because I have too." Well, fuck.

hi! i told y'all i'd be back soon!! i know this chapter is short but there was no point in making it long but full of fillers, im at the stage in the book now where lots of secrets need to be revealed so everything is moving faster!

qotc: did you notice any secrets? did you notice a slight change of pace? or are you now rereading chapters to find clues??

also guys, i'd really love it if you could comment more, it's a real motivator for me and i realise i've lost a ton of my readers bcs of all my absences so i really appreciate the ones who've not forgotten about me you know? and it really would make me feel a lot better about my writing/ story bcs a lot of the time i struggle with the confidence to be proud of my work, but im working through it! but yeah, i love if you could comment and we can have we chats in the comments <33

xoxo,

jessie.