Chapter 9

Johnny had definable features for sure. It was especially true when Jacky leaned in between me and Evelyn to say," Dang. Why are we getting all hotties this school year?"
Johnny smiled towards the class and I looked at Leo who seemed weirdly tense.
"Johnny please pick a seat." The teacher smiled . Johnny smiled before walking over to the seat next to Leo, where he looked over and sat down.
I tapped Leo on the shoulder and he lazily looked over.
"You okay?" I asked him curiously.
"Yeah." He smiled weakly before slowly turning around.
"Okay class. Now I need to talk to you about a huge class project. It'll be your final for this class." The teacher smiled. The class groaned.
"No. No. It'll be fun I promise. It's a bonding experience for all of you until you have to graduate." She smiled weakly.
"Now, lets all talk about partners. Let's let the new kid pick. Johnny please pick your partner." The teacher urged. I looked over at him weirdly. Why'd she ask him to pick first if he doesn't even know anyone's names?
Johnny suddenly looked over his shoulder towards me and smiled," You?" He asked me.
My eyes widened and Leo turned his head towards me.
"Me?" I pointed at myself.
Johnny nodded.
"Great. Than it's decided on." The teacher smiled before going onto the next person.
Johnny was still facing towards me while smiling a flirty smile.
I ran my hand through my hair.
At the end of the class, I got assigned with Johnny, Leo got assigned with Amanda freaking Johnson, Kai and Evelyn got assigned together, and Jacky and this guy named Gary Rickwald got assigned. The project was definitely about bonding. We basically had to discover more about our partner, likes and dislikes and present to the class a poetic phrase that best represents our partner. The best part was that we had until the end of the year to think about it, which gave us plenty of time to get to know each other. I would honestly much rather Leo be my partner, but it's not like I could've said no to Johnny. He seems nice.
       It was now lunch and we all sat in silence. This table was definitely keeping secrets from each other. I was sitting next to Leo and he was awfully quiet this whole time. He's never quiet. He's always make a joke or two to lighten the mood.
Evelyn was sitting on the opposite side of the table next to Kai, to discuss the project.
"Hey." Suddenly the new kid sat next to me, making all of our heads turn towards him.
"No ones sitting here right?" Johnny asked us. We shook our heads except for me and Leo.
Of course Jacky is the first one to talk.
"Woah, you're really cute." Jacky leaned forward to get into Johnny's personal bubble.
Johnny looked a little bit taken back but he didn't move.
"Thanks?" He asked as if it was a question.
"What school did you come from?" Evelyn asked curiously while stealing a couple of Kai's chips, but he didn't seem to notice.
Johnny's eyes looked towards Leo's," Actually, I used to go to school with Leo until he moved here. We were best buds. Weren't we Leo?" Johnny smiled.
Leo just looked at him and didn't say anything.
"Woah. Is your old school like filled with cute guys or something?" Jacky mumbled in awe.
Leo smirked a bit at that and his hand suddenly found mine under the table.
"You guys went to school together?" I asked mainly Leo. Leo's eyes flickered towards me and he gave off a weak smile," For a while, yes." He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and suddenly all my worries about him being quiet went away. Luckily no one except for Kai saw this little stare of Leo and I, but he seemed to ignore it.
I turned towards Johnny and I smiled," So, if you knew Leo then why'd you pick me for your project?"
"Because you're pretty." Johnny asked it like a question and I tilted my head confusingly," Because you think I'm pretty?"
"I picked you because you're pretty. I wanted to talk to you. It's as simple as that." Johnny shrugged.
"Oh." I mumbled before turning to the front of me confusingly.
"Why didn't you pick me?" Jacky groaned. Johnny looked over at her. He doesn't seem to be used to her bluntness quite yet, which honestly does take some getting used to.
"Don't push it Jacky." Kai mumbled.
"I'm not even flirting yet." Jacky smiled.
Of course, the twins started arguing like they normally do.
"So, Marlie, when do you want to work on our project?" Johnny leaned over and whispered. This reminded me of Leo's first day. And when he was whispering about the twins. Leo seemed to get this feel also, because he squeezed my hand under the table.
"Well," I mumbled," We can start this weekend if you want." I shrugged.
Johnny smiled," Perfect."
Leo seemed to roll his eyes at that. I made it a mental note to ask him what's really wrong later. He isn't jealous, at least, I don't think so. Leo doesn't seem like a jealous type.
   It was now after school and Leo was walking me home yet again. He was quiet, which was making me anxious. We stopped in front of my apartment and we faced towards each other.
"You okay?" I asked him while swinging our hands.
He looked over at me," Yeah. Why?"
"You seem quiet today."
"Do I?" Leo laughed nervously," I guess that's what you do to me." He joked while leaning into me.
I smiled at that even though I knew it wasn't true.
"Wanna come inside for a drink?" I raised my eyebrows.
Leo sighed in delight and leaned into me more, almost pushing me backwards.
"What about your roommate? Don't you have that no boys rule?" He asked curiously.
"She's at a class till seven." I shrugged.
Leo looked down on me before putting his face on my cheek and leaning down. I shut my eyes, ready for his lips to finally be on mine again. I suddenly felt his lips touch my forehead sweetly before he pulled back and caressed my cheek. I opened my eyes, feeling a bit disappointed he hasn't kissed me since yesterday.
"I'd like that." He smiled.
"Great." My eyes flashed. I walked inside my apartment and Leo followed quickly after.
It was weird seeing him in my apartment. I knew he'd been here before, but seeing him without sneaking around. He quietly closed the door and looked around at the living room.
"Want to sit? What do you want to drink?" I offered towards the couch. Leo nervously sat down before looking over at the tv.
"Water would be nice." He mumbled.
"Great." I walked into my fridge and grabbed a water bottle. Maybe that would be a bit too casual? Instead I poured the water into a cup and I walked back into the living room before passing it to him.
"Thanks." He mumbled while slowly drinking the water.
"Would you wait here? While I change?" I asked. He choked on his water at that, making water spill out around his mouth and down his shirt.
"Don't say stuff like that!" He said in between coughs.
"Sorry!" I took his cup away from him," I meant out of this school uniform into casual clothes. I really didn't mean anything by it." I sat down next to him while I patted his back.
"He was still looking at me while coughing awkwardly.
Was he thinking something was going to happen between us because my roommate is away? Is that why he's so on edge? I really wasn't thinking about that.
"Wanna watch a movie?" I suddenly asked. Leo nodded quickly.
    Right now Leo and I were watching The Karate kid, but I was too nervous to even pay attention. Instead I was focusing on Leo's movements next to me. He was currently sliding his hand across my shoulders when I jumped up.
"Popcorn?" I asked. He looked up at me from the couch and nodded slowly.
I walked into the kitchen and I quickly made popcorn, giving myself a pep talk. Obviously nothing serious was going to happen, but I'm not sure if im ready to kiss Leo again. I'd be way too nervous.
I walked back shakily while placing the popcorn bowl in the middle of my table.
I sat down comfortably next to him, leaving enough room in between us for it to look like I didn't purposely sit closer to him now.
In the middle of the movie, I saw Leo looking at me from the corner of my eye. I turned towards him, before smiling.
"You're staring." I mumbled before popping a piece of popcorn in my mouth.
"Is that a bad thing?" Leo raised his eyebrow while he looked at my lips while leaning forward towards my face.
"No." I mumbled before looking down and leaning in also.
Leo and I leaned towards each other until suddenly there was a bell sounding from the apartment door.