Chapter 3

Fatima hiked in her room to answer the impatient phone.
Who is it? She glanced back at the phone from the clock. It is past midnight. Fatima was helping Nadir in the room next to hers for his assignment.
Nadir and his laziness! He has the courtesy to tell things at the end.

"Hello! You do realise, it is past midnight?" She sat on the bed her back rested.
"Fatima, shut up! It is my birthday." Ibrahim screeched.
"Oh yeah! Your birthday... I know, Ibs." She slaps her forehead.
"Oh sure, you do!" She dares to say anything.
"Be here on time tomorrow," he added.

~~~~~

Fatima ranged the bell again.
Waiting on the door with a box of cake in her hand.
"Oh hello! My impatient little birdy."
"Assalamualaikum. You are home! Will you please stop calling me birdy Uncle Sheheryar, that makes me feel tiny."
Sheheryar guffawed.
"Walekumassalam." Fatima passed the box to Sheheryar.
He followed her in.

"How is your health Uncle? Dad told me you visited him, yesterday."
"Oh yes! Tima, I did, and believe me that was nothing.
Dr was worried about his patient."
He chuckled.
"Hopefully."
She smiled.
"I hope your promise of taking me and Zara shopping still stands?" Fatima narrowed her eyes keeping her hands on her waistband.

"Ahh! You can be scary sometime birdy. Yes, it does. We will be going soon." He feigned fear.

Sheheryar is a gentle and kind man according to Fatima. He is a father figure to her.
This side of him can be witnessed by two girls of the house, that is Fatima and his own daughter Zara.
According to Ibrahim, his father can scare the daylight out of anyone.
Sheheryar is a stiff man for real.
He is a lawyer. His profession has all the charm to him.

"You saved our lives Uncle! I am relieved," Fatima put her hand on the chest, dramatically.
They both giggled.

"I figure Fatima is here?" Minal came into the kitchen with Maya.
Fatima hiked to hug Aunt Minal and Aunt Maya.
"Hey! My dads little birdy. You are here!" Zara glided in, startling Fatima.
"Uncle Sheheryar, this is not fair," Fatima whined, as they all laughed.

"Guess, no one can resist your charm, love." Minal boasted.
"I doubt your persona, Mr husband when these girls are around you," Minal added.
The laughter echoed in the house.

The ring of the phone took Sheheryar's attention.
"I'll join you guys in a few. Had to attend the call."

"How have you been, Aunt Maya?"
"Very well, dear. When is your mom coming?"
"Just in few," Fatima assured.
"Let's finish what we started, Maya," Minal asked her sister, turning to the kitchen.
"Both of you carry on."
Fatima and Zara nodded as they exchange the mischievous looks.

"Let's start what we have to finish, Zara?" Fatima snickered.
Zara smirked and followed suit.

They both entered Ibrahim's room.
His room as always organised. Bed made. Everything in its place, no sleepovers lying, no rotten cups, no leftovers, beautiful nice room.
Simple!
"Speaking of which, where's your brother?"
"He'll be here soon. Altamash is coming."
"What? No! Is he?" She scrunched.
"Yes, he is, Fatima and I don't get what is that you have against him?" She folded her hands in front of her.
"I... Actually, don't know."
"Yeah, see!"
"Still. I don't like him. Besides who cares. He is your cousin. It is not like I have to see him every time." Fatima shrugged.

"What are you up to?" Zara asked Fatima who was searching the room for something going in her mind.
"Ah! You will see love."

Fatima gushed her work. Zara laughed at the devil side of little bird.
Zara is a year younger than Fatima. She calls her birdy because her father does.
She had always loved Fatima. She knows how Ibrahim and Fatima end up every day.
Their friendship is envied by people around them. Passing time screwed them tight.
The family loves their fondness, enjoys their bickerings and rants.
They are good, bad and worst but for each other, they are together.

By the time girls reached down, everyone arrived and busy except the boys.
Oruj, Minal and Maya were busy on the video call with Mayesha, Ibrahim's Aunt. Younger than Minal, Maya is the eldest of them all. They were sitting in the dining area. All the preparations were good to go.

Fatima's dad, Bilal and Sheheryar were busy with something Nadir was showing them on the mobile, probably some video.

There goes the bell.
Nadir sprinted to open the door.
"Happy Birthday, big brother, " he hugged Ibrahim's torso making him chuckle.
After greeting everyone he went upstairs to change and Altamash was welcomed with inquiries by the elders.
Altamash is Maya's son, two years elder than Ibrahim. He went to live with his Uncle for pursuing graduation in Sydney.
Ibrahim went to receive him from the Airport. They dropped his luggage at Maya's house on the way.

"FATIMA..."

Every eye in the room turned to Fatima.
"Was waiting for this." Minal winked. 
"It took longer this time," Bilal added.
"Birthday gift. He might be thrilled," Oruj chimed.
Altamash acted kind of weird like always.
He has this nerve to dislike everything she does, perhaps, this is the reason she can not stand him.

Fatima slipped out of the room, a tiny-miny embarrassed.
Nadir and Zara following her, laughing up their way.

Water dripped from Ibrahim on the floor. In this cold weather of August, he stood drenched in the middle of the room.
By the time three reached up, his gazes fell on Fatima.
His eyes were cold as the weather of Melbourne.

All three laughed. "Believe me, man! Mine was worst last month. Happy birthday, friend."
She winked.
He hissed.
"Hanging the bucket on the door? It is old fashion. Haven't I taught you better?"
His body shivered, teethes chattering, eyes cold.
"That worked, I suppose and this is your nineteenth birthday old man. I was meant to do this." She assured.
"How did you keep the bucket up, appi? That was cool! " Nadir shooted.

"Let's go down, munchkin." She chuckled.
"Ever heard, Karma is a bitch. Bro?" Zara probed in. Her hand crossed on her chest, lips leaving the trace of the smirk.

"Don't make us wait long," Fatima shouted from the flight of the stairs.
"Settled? Or I need to go up?" Minal inquired.
"Everything is under control mom," Zara confirmed.
She chuckled.