“Oh” I said , looking at the little bird more closely now . “Oh .

Alex nodded . “Jack has his moments , doesn't he ?”

I could feel the tears welling up , so I put it back in it's box .

The next present kept up the cuboid pattern .

“Any ideas ?” Alex asked , and I shook my head .

“Who's it from ?”

“Zack” Alex said , taking the blindfold off .

I gasped , staring down at the photo .

“I know , right ?” Alex said softly .

“Wow ...”

Behind the glass slept a photo that I recognized – Zack had taken it on the bus , when Alex was teaching me Jasey Rae . The guitar bridge in the middle . Alex was leaning around me , positioning my fingers across the fretboard . We looked … happy .

“It's perfect” I breathed , “I knew Zack liked photography , I never knew he was good .”

“Next up – Rian” Alex said , knotting the scarf around my head .

I felt the object carefully . “It feels kinda like Jack's present . You know …a box .”

Alex laughed , and took the blindfold off again .

“And I was right” I laughed , “It is a box .”

I opened it , and my eyed instantly widened . “Woah . It's ...”

“I know” Alex said softly , “For a dude , Rian has a great taste in necklaces .”

I let the silver chain spill over the edge of my hand while I examined the cross that was attached to it . It was slim silver pieces that looked like they had been woven together . There was a big square in the middle , and four blocks that led off of that . Definitely a cross , but not a normal one .

“Rian said it's called a St Brigid's cross . He said to Google it , and something about lightning .”

“Well , it's beautiful” I told him . “And I love it .”

“Only one present left” Alex said , not bothering to blindfold me this time . Then he frowned . “Well , three .”

He reached into his pocket and handed me a card . “That's from the crew .”

I laughed . “I'm guessing Matt bought the card ?” I said , gesturing to the dancing Mickey Mouse , and he nodded .

“I wasn't there when he was buying it , so you can't blame me .”

I read the message and smiled . “That's sweet of them” I said .

“And this is from everyone behind the Second Chance programme” Alex continued , handing me a blank disc .

“That's all the footage they shot since the very first interviews . Uncut . The documentary that will never be aired .”

“And now” Alex said , “I've been saving the best for last . Here .”

From behind the sofa , he picked up a guitar case . One of the expensive leather ones .