Introduction

~Sapphire's POV~

My alarm screeches at 6:30 like every other morning. And like most mornings I'm already awake, taking a shower. I couldn't sleep again. Too many thoughts running through my head... But I shake the feeling off. Today is a new day! Monday! Monday... 

I finished my shower and head over to turn my alarm off. Like every other morning, I brush out my long, blue dyed hair and make sure to cover my eyes with my bangs. I apply my everyday makeup and get dressed in my regular flowy dresses.

I receive a text from Pearl after I finish my breakfast, like every other morning, telling me that she and Lapis are outside in the car waiting. Like every other morning. 

I head outside and lock my door. Nothing changes in my life. It's been the same thing for 3 years. Wake up, go to school, do homework, go to bed. With the occasional sleepover with Pearl and Lapis...

A honk startles me out of my thoughts. I realize that I'm still facing my door and not in the car going to school. I quickly walk over and get in the back seat. "Good morning daydreamer," Pearl laughs. Lapis has her headphones in as usual but nods her head towards me. 

"Morning," I stated blankly. It's too early for conversation but as usual, Pearl hates empty air. She starts to drive. "Did you fall asleep on your door? It took you a while to get over here." She laughs again. "No, sorry, I guess I got caught up in my thoughts." I sigh and stare out my window as Pearl starts to tell us about her events from last night. Apparently, she went on a date with Sabina again, her girlfriend. I politely stopped listening after that. It's too early to care. Lapis and I learned how to tune Pearl out a while ago. We love her, it's just, well, she's the literal definition of an early bird. She'll squawk on and on all morning on the way to school and it's just too painfully early to process information.

When we get to school we head out to our first class together. Lapis and I share first while Pearl is just down the hall.

"See you in third," Pearl says to us as she walks into class. I smile at her while Lapis just walks ahead. "Hey, wait up Lapis," I mumble quietly to myself. I rush to catch up to her. She always just walks off, not caring- OOF!

I fell.

Wait no I ran into someone.

Wait no. Oh shit. I ran into Ruby who is now on the ground too, looking surprised. Popular, baseball Ruby. I look around flustered, quickly putting my lifted bangs back and gathering my stuff hastily. Why was my bag unzipped? "I'm so sorry! I didn't see where I was going and I-" I start to ramble but she laughs. She's laughing. At me? "Uhh," I stutter.

"Hey, it's alright. No harm done." She chuckles as she grabs my phone off the ground and my hand and lifts me to my feet. Her voice was so gentle... and sweet. I laugh a little too, awkwardly. She still has my hand and my phone. 

"Um..." 

"Oh yeah oh my god yeah sorry," she laughs again as she hands me my phone and smiles at me. That smile. That same smile that girls and boys swoon over is being directed to me. 

"Sapphire. Sapphirrrre," Lapis is calling me, but I'm starring at Ruby. Her coffee brown eyes, they're full of life and joy and hope and I can't look away...

Lapis! Lapis is calling me!

I come back to earth and realize that Ruby is starring back. How long have we been like this?

"I uh, I'm gonna, I'm gonna go," I hurriedly say and walk away to Lapis. She puts her arm over my shoulder and smirks while leading us to class. "What was that all about? Ruby huh?" 

"I have no idea," I say right as we walk into class. Before the door closes all the way I hear a silent "Woah" from where Ruby is. The bell rings. This morning was most definitely not like every other morning. It's something entirely new.