Twenty-Four

All rights go to Shonda Rhimes and Grey's Anatomy ABC.

They stood in the hallway at opposite ends glaring into each other’s eyes. Patrick could tell how angry Jillian was, the way her bright blue eyes were bloodshot. She had been crying, he could tell. He could tell how much he had hurt his wife, he had to be honest. But just as he opened his mouth, what came out of it was far from the truth.

“I told you where I was.” He spoke calmly, but became shocked as he realised that is not what he wanted to say.

“Are you sure?” Jillian’s voice was deep. “Are you completely sure you were with the whole cast spending one weekend away celebrating the show?” She emphasised on the word ‘whole’.

“Yes. I’m sure.”

“You’re a liar!” Jillian screamed down the hallway. She didn’t mean to shout, Talula was upstairs and there was no way she wanted her daughter to wake up.

Patrick stood there. He couldn’t believe what Jillian had just called him. But it was true, it was the complete truth.

“Jill.” His voice was soft, already begging for her forgiveness.

“No, Patrick. You do not get to talk to me that way.” She walked up to him.

As she came out of the darkness Patrick could tell that she was hurting more than he first thought. Her blonde hair was a mess, streaks of mascara were stained on her cheeks from the tears that had been falling from her eyes.

“I saw Katherine…at the store…yesterday.” Patrick’s eyes widened. “She told me that Shonda didn’t plan a celebratory party for the whole weekend, Patrick!”

“I’m sorry.”

“Where were you? And more importantly who were you with?”

“I can’t tell you.” His voice was quiet.

“You were with her, weren’t you?” She looked into Patrick’s eyes. “You were with Ellen.”

He didn’t say anything. He couldn’t lie anymore, so he just kept quiet. Because staying silent was more bearable than being dishonest.

“I went to her house yesterday.” Great now Jillian was sounding like a stalker. “After I spoke to Katherine. I went to Ellen’s house. There was no one there, but her car was.”

“Jill, please.”

“Do you love her?”

The question his Patrick’s heart. He could feel his heart beating within his chest. Of course he loved Ellen, but he needed to let Ellen know first before he blurted the news out to the rest of the world.

“You do, don’t you?” Jillian’s voice was calm. She could understand it. “There’s something I have to tell you.”

Patrick squinted his eyes in confusion. What was Jillian hiding?

“I have no right to be jealous. Over you and Ellen. I have no right. Because what I’ve done is much worse.” A tear began to fall down her cheek as she began to open up to Patrick. “You have to understand, our marriage was falling apart and you were at the set with Ellen all of the time.”

“What is it Jill?” He looked concerned, worried that something might be wrong with her.

“I’m pregnant.”

“But we…”

“I know. It’s not yours, the baby, it’s someone else’s”

“Oh.”