"Like you ever leave my side," Ginny mumbled. She sounded annoyed, but she smiled widely as she ducked her head and focused on her food.

"I think it's adorable," Hermione told her redhaired friend. "I hope it lasts this time."

"Yeah," Harry scoffed. "Won-Won better be a good boyfriend or she might break it off."

Ron grimaced. "Don't ever bring that up. Ever."

Harry grinned. "I'll try," he said.

"I'll try too, Won-Won," Ginny said. "Oops! I mean Ron."

Hermione pinched his cheek. "We'll all try, Ickle-Ronniekins."

"I hate you all," Ron grumbled. "I'm going."

"Where?" Ginny asked as he stood up.

"Far from the likes of you three. I'll see the two of you later tonight in the common room. Hermione, good night."

Hermione waved as Ron left. "I hope Won-Won and Lav-Lav make it work."

Ginny snorted. "I don't mind if they never use those ridiculous names again."

"Don't tell him that," Harry warned. "If he hears that, he and Lavender will not stop every time you walk into the room."

Ginny smiled as she finished off what was in her plate. "That's true. Well, we ought to get going, Harry, if we want enough time to waste before curfew. Hermione--"

"I'll be fine. Go and have some fun."

Harry smiled and kissed the top of Hermione's head. "You're my favourite bookworm."

"Excuse me? Girlfriend standing right here," Ginny playfully scolded, hands on her hips.

Harry grinned at her and crawled under the table. He grabbed her by the waist and pulled her close. "Favourite bookworms get kisses on the head. Girlfriends get something much--"

"Girlfriends get a room!" Hermione shouted, already shielding her eyes and turning away.

"Good night, Hermione," Harry said with a laugh as he took Ginny's hand and the pair left the Great Hall.

Hermione watched them leave with a smile on her face. She was happy that they were together again. It hurt her to watch them stay apart. She was also happy for Ron and Lavender, and she meant it when she said she hoped it would work out.

She was more than shocked when Pansy Parkinson of all people suddenly took Ginny's vacated seat. The black haired witch shrugged. "I figured if you had the guts to sit with all the snakes a few dinners ago, I can brave the lion's den."

Hermione smiled brightly. "Welcome to the Gryffindor table, Pansy."

Pansy smiled. She was glad she'd befriended Hermione. She was happy to have someone she could call a true friend. She had friends in Slytherin, but they were a bit too . . . Slytherin . . . to hold such titles. And the boys, well, they were boys. Pansy needed some femininity in her life that she could count on to be there when she needed.

Hermione couldn't help but smile in return. Pansy had a beautiful smile, the kind that made you want to smile just because she was smiling. Her first thought was to wonder why Pansy didn't smile often, but she quickly discarded it before she actually asked her. She was happy she had befriended Pansy. It was nice to have a girl to call her friend for once. Sure, she had Ginny and at times, Luna too, but they seemed to be in cahoots with the boys. After all, Ginny was Ron's sister and Harry's girlfriend and Luna . . . well, Luna seemed to be in cahoots with everyone. She could hardly complain to them. She trusted them, without a doubt, but not with trivial things such as meaningless fights that lasted no more than five seconds. Ginny or Luna would no doubt try to resolve the matter and would speak to one of the boys. Hermione knew because she was likely to do the same.

But Pansy . . . Pansy wasn't dating or related to any of her boys. Hermione could tell Pansy all she wanted to with no fear that Pansy would pass it on. For example, just yesterday, Hermione found herself rather annoyed with Ron, who just would not be quiet while she revised her Ancient Runes notes. Telling Ginny about it only made the girl try to teach her brother about personal space and all that. When Harry pestered her, she decided to go to Pansy. Granted, Pansy was amused at her annoyance and laughed, but that was the end of it.

Hermione needed friends outside of her family. She needed friends who were just that -- friends. She wondered if Pansy might become something of a sister to her too, but for the moment, she was content with where their friendship stood.

Besides, Hermione was quite sure if she told Pansy she considered the girl a sister, she might run for her life.

Commitment didn't scare those Slytherins with regard to romantic relationships only.