23 | Tessa

Zendaya intertwined her own hand with Toms as they both sat in the white room, the walls screaming death.
She lightly kissed Toms frozen shoulder before looping their arms together resting her head on his shoulder.

"I could've stopped it..." Tom pressed into the back of the green leather chair.
"You didn't know..." Zendaya softly stroked the side of his face with her free hand.
"I should've..." Tom sobbed.

He lent forwards and put both hands over his face.
Zendaya felt bad, obviously.
She had never seen Tom so upset about something.

"Thomas Holland" a nurse emerged from the long white corridor.
Tom quickly stood up and Zendaya followed placing one hand on his forearm and the other looped through his hand.

"Right this way"
The nervous pair followed the nurse down the corridor, Zendaya took quick glances at some of the rooms and saw sadness, happiness and sickness in one corridor.

Vets sucked. Just like hospitals.

The fear of loosing a loved one was plastered on everyone's faces when you walk in. Then you have to sit there for three hours to either wait for the best news, or the worst.

This could be the worst.

The nurse opened the doors and there she was.
"Hey princess..." Tom ran over to his beloved dog who was laying stomach down on the table weakly wagging her tail.

Zendaya smiled at the nurse and looked back over at Tom who was kneeling down next to Tess stroking her head.
"Ok Thomas..."

"Uh just Tom is fine..." Tom smiled up at the nurse before going back to cooing at Tessa.
"Ok and..." the nurse looked at Zendaya.

"Zendaya..." the nurse smiled and wrote something down on her computer.
"Alright you two take a seat"

Tom and Zendaya sat side by side on a couch in the corner.
"So I have good news and bad news..." Zendaya felt Toms body go tense, "What news do you want first?"

"Uh...bad..." Tom looked at Tessa who's head was between her two front legs her body rising and falling softly.
"Ok...Tessa has developed a tumor in her left lung..."

Toms heart stopped.

His lips parted slightly as he let out a silent gasp. His heart started to pound 20 miles a minute and felt like he was going to be sick.

This can't be happening.

Toms brain started to think of things he didn't want to think of.
'How long, why didn't he know, why now, why her, was she going to d-

"Tom..." Tom whipped his head around to Zendaya who had a hand on his knee, "she's trying to tell you the good news..."

"I'm sorry..."
"It's ok Tom I know how you feel..." the nurse turned back to her computer, "the good news is she has a high chance of survival, almost 80%, shes a healthy dog"

Tom smiled at Tessa who was sleeping now.
"But..." Zendaya and Tom whipped their heads around to the nurse, "the surgery is urgent"

"How...urgent" tom croaked.
"We can do it in 3 hours...with your permission of course"

Tom looked back at Tess then at Zendaya who smiled at him pushing his hair from his face.

"Ok...anything to keep her alive"
"Ok thank you we will give you a call...say something to her..."

Tom knelt down in front of Tessa who was still asleep.

"Hey princess. I know you can't speak English but if there's anything in you, at all, that can keep you strong. Use it. I love you baby, you know I do...just fight for me ok..." Tom whipped away a tear and Zendaya did the same, "I love you princess..."

Tom kissed Tess on the head gently before standing up reaching for Zendayas hand.

When he found it he gripped it so tight telling Zendaya that he was afraid.
Zendaya felt this and rested her head back on his shoulder.

"We will give one of you a call when we are done"
"How long...will that be..."

"Around 7pm"
Tom nodded and thanked the nurse again before leaving with Zendaya.

When the couple were in the warmth of Toms home he burst into tears.
Collapsing on the ground as if he had been shot in the stomach.

This feeling in his body was something he couldn't describe, Tessa and Tom were so close and he didn't want to loose her now. He couldn't. She was his princess.

Zendaya embraced him pulling him up onto the couch letting him rest ontop of her as she rubbed his back.

"It's ok...she's going to be ok..." Zendaya whispered.
"You don't know that..." Tom cried.
"Oh Tom...she's a strong girl...she will get through this ok I know it..."

~

It was around 7:03 when Tom began to tap his foot on the hard concrete floor in the waiting room.
His brain began to imagine all the awful things that were happening in the hospital room, the nurses yelling for different items, the beeping, Tessa...dying. While he just sat there.

"Oh crap..." he whispered hunching over.
"It's going to be ok Tom..." Zendaya pulled his head on to her shoulder and fiddled with his hair.

"It's going to be ok...."

"Tom Holland" Tom snapped his head up and his heart exploded.
"Hey Tess!" He ran over a smile plastered on his face as he cupped Tessa's face in his hands.

"The surgery went very well she's such a strong girl! Aren't you!" The nurse handed Tessa a treat before letting Zendaya and Tom get back in again.

Zendaya petted Tessas head as Tom scratched under her chin peppering her face with kisses.

After signing paperwork the nurse handed Tom a jar of small brown pills.
"These are her pain killers, give her one a day at dinner time in her food, they taste like meat"

"Thank you so much!" Tom said again and the nurse smiled back at him.
"Just doing our job."

~

Zendaya was finding it very hard to get to her boyfriend as Tom decided to let Tess sleep in his bed that night.

"Ow she kicked me..." Zendaya yelped before rolling out of bed. She folded her arms and pouted as she sat on the floor.

"She's jealous..." Tom kissed Tessas head.
"Yeah that's my spot."

"Um Z I was talking about you..."
Zendaya scoffed and hit Tom with a pillow.
Tom laughed and pulled away the covers behind him.

Zendaya climbed in and Tom wrapped his arm around her shoulders as Zendaya rested her head against Toms chest.

Tessa huffed and put her head on Toms chest too staring into Zendayas eyes.
"Oh really sweetheart you want to go there"
Zendaya looked back at Tessa as Tom laughed.

Tessa blinked slowly and Zendaya did the same causing Tessa to lick her face.
"Oh my god..." Zendaya smiled and stroked Tessas head, "ok your kinda cute"

Tom smiled and kissed Zendaya on the head.
"Thank you..."

"I love you..." Zendaya kept stroking Tessas head as she drifted off to sleep.
"I love you too..."

"Eh hem I was talking about the dog"