Chapter 43: Slow Truth

Start from the beginning

Armin seemed to have regained control of his emotions. "But how? How can Dr. Jaeger be the lead of the history of werewolves?"

"Ilse explained that. Apparently, Dr. Jaeger is the anonymous writer of the werewolf origins book. She tried to go meet him to get an interview, but he was found dead in his home."

"That's all?"

I thought for a moment. "No.. there was a note by his body, Ilse wrote it down. I'll read it to you.

Hello, Dr. Grisha Jaeger

How have you been doing?

I'm sorry to hear that you were unfairly kicked to a mental hospital. It must've been dreadful.

So , I see you've started writing again.

Didn't we have an agreement?

I made you my allie, but you betrayed me.

How could you Grisha?

You already betrayed me once, and I was still able to forgive.

But you tried to betray me again.

I let you in the secret of our lives, yet you planned to expose it.

Take notice, that this will not be taken lightly.

Your punishment will be served.

Regards,
KAM

That's it."

Armin narrowed his eyes at my words, and Mikasa fell into deep thought.

"Who's Kam?" Armin asked, lifting his head up.

"I don't know," I partially lied. Armin didn't need to know what I remembered during the murder of my parents.

Mikasa stayed quiet as Armin began to think of a plan. "Ilse's lead has snapped, but we're still holding on a to a thread of the rope. We know someone who can very well be the last person linked to this."

"Eren?" Mikasa murmured, her eyes shining with worry. "But he has the mouth of a leaking bucket, it's just going to spill everywhere."

"Well, we don't need to tell him the whole story," Armin reasoned, "We just need to figure out how to bring up the subject of his father naturally."

"If we can just get a clue from Eren..." The pretty raven murmured, pulling up her scarf.

"We'll be taking one step closer to the truth," Armin finished for her.

I set the book down with a sigh. "You seem very determined to know the answer, Armin."

"The truth has been left in the dark for so long. People use werewolves as a story to scare children at night. I just want to know the truth. There's a chance werewolves aren't what we thought."

"Well, whatever happens, this diary must never reach the public," I said sternly, crossing my arms.

Now Mikasa was the one who spoke up. "Why do care so much about this (Y/N)? You despise werewolves from what happened in your past. But why do you want to keep this a secret so much?"

I took a deep breath. "Werewolves have been thought to be extinct for centuries. There's no need for me to stir up trouble with this story. I--"

"But they aren't," Armin cut off, meeting my eyes. "They're not extinct."

I tilted my head in confusion. "I know... I don't exactly have any solid proof... but I just know they aren't. They're still here, they've always been here. Small, quiet news that never reached the media, telling about stories how they befriended werewolves."