chapter eleven

Dwayne's POV

A wave of anger coursed through me as she was speaking. Hearing that her father was a drunkard caused bile to rise to my throat. I wanted to throw up so badly. I can imagine the kind of things he does to her when he's drunk. Was he like my step-dad? It reminded me so much of him and how he ruined our lives almost completely. The anger sloshing through me didn't go unnoticed by the people around me. My knuckles were nearly white from my over clenched fists, and I felt my nails pricking my palm.

"Are you okay Dwayne? " a female voice broke me out of my trance. I nodded in response.

This was probably related to her, missing our presentation and me seeing her crying the other time. From that time, I knew there was something actually bothering her but I didn't know it was something this serious. I figured it'd be one of those simple things,like a boy breaking her heart or something.

I wanted to know more about the issue. But I didn't want to ask any further questions because we practically forced her to talk about it. I was hoping Deon would ask any questions but it seemed he had completely spaced out, probably too shocked that such stuff still happen these days.

I was too curious so I asked, " your mother? What is she saying about it? " she smiled sadly, "my mum passed away a couple of years back,that's when my dad started drinking. He couldn't get over her death. " she must really be having a hard time with no mum. I sighed.

"D-does your dad hurt you in any way? " Deon asked,stuttering.

"No no, he's never laid a hand on me. " she replied quickly. I was a bit happy with her reply. We noticed she was a bit uncomfortable with the conversation , so Deon quickly changed the subject. "How about we start our project? Who's doing the drawing? "

"Meeeeeee! " Abby squeals happily.

......

Halfway through the assignment, Lizbeth's phone went off, I I saw she and Abby stiffen before she looked at the caller ID. She let out a sigh of relief and shook her head at Abby who was looking intently at her, signaling it was not the mafia guy. I felt somewhat relieved, until I saw her mouth 'Travis' to Abby. I frowned slightly, tensed. That douche bag. He probably just wants to get into her pants like he does with the other girls and throws them away when he's done with them like their pieces of trash. Abby wriggled her brows and gave a thumbs up, and Lizbeth shook her head rolling her eyes.

" Uh Travis? I'm kind of busy with a group assignment ,can we talk later? " she said,looking and sounding slightly uncomfortable.

A couple of seconds later, the call ended. "who's up for some pizza and coke? I'm getting hungry. We've been working for hours and we're not anywhere close to finishing. " Abby says,pouting childishly. I bit my lip slightly to prevent the smile that was eager to form because of her actions. I know, I know, I barely smile. I bet they've seen me laugh once, and I doubt they've ever seen me smile. There was pretty much nothing to smile about. Sigh.

" Earth to Dwayne. " I was brought back to earth. " dude, you completely zoned out, pizza and coke? " Deon asked. " no, I'm fine. " I replied, not really in the mood to eat.

A while later, their order was brought and they began eating. I took the book I recently borrowed from the library to read.

Lizbeth's POV

I heard my phone go off, and I stiffened, thinking it was Mr. Picasso calling again. Relieve quickly washed over me when I noticed it was Travis. I mouthed 'Travis's to Abby and she wriggled her brows. Sigh. This girl! I notice Dwayne tense a bit but I shrugged it off. He and Travis don't have the best history anyway.

"Hey Lizbeth. I was hoping you'd have lunch with me tomorrow maybe, at the same place? " he asked, a bit nervous I could tell. I wanted to go back to that place, hell, the food was good. But with Travis no. I quickly made up an excuse, to avoid answering, hoping he'd notice my disinterest and drop the topic. " Uh Travis, I'm kind of busy with a group assignment, can we talk later? " I heard him sigh.

"Okay .... sure " he replied hesitantly. Nayomi. I really didn't want to have issues with her , besides Travis would never be interested in a girl like me, so I don't know what her deal is.

Abby asked who wanted coke. Deon and I said yes but Dwayne was quiet. He looked like his mind wasn't even here. Deon was a bit more of a talker than Dwayne sometimes. Deon snapped his fingers at him, calling him back and he said he didn't not want anything. Was Dwayne alright? He usually spaces out.

......

It was getting pretty late but we were just half way through the assignment and nowhere close to finishing. We decided to call it a day and continue tomorrow. Dwayne and Deon left a few minutes ago.

"you're not sleeping over? " Abby asked when I started packing.

"Nayyy. Gotta go home. " I replied. " Ya sure baby doll? You can stay here you know that. "

"I know but I want to go home. " I saw a bit if disappointment in her eyes and she nodded. " bye girlfriend. See you tomorrow ". She yelled waving.

Immediately I initiated that alley, I saw the SUV again,in the same spot. I so badly wanted to know what the car was doing there all the time, but it was none of my business so I brushed it off and headed home though I had a weird feeling I was being watched. Gosh I'm so damn paranoid sometimes.

.....

" Beth " dad was sober today. I wanted to talk to him, to hear him out. But I was too angry with him still. Damn! He's ruined my life pretty much already and I don't think I can stand him yet. I might as well snap his neck if I loose it. I know I'm being too hard but who wouldn't be? He's wrecked me. Or I should just hear him out since he's sober?

"Yes dad, what it it? " I snapped angrily and he smiled. " thanks for agreeing to talk. I wanted to say I'm sorry for this. I swear I didn't know I'd go this far. I-I I didn't know if we should tell the police about it yet. "he said in a low tone.

"what? Police? Please dad, you and I know know how powerful the guy is. Please I don't think I want to die a painful death. If you're done talking, I'd like to go to bed. Goodnight " I said and left. I felt a pang of anger but I brushed it off.

A/N: hey people, boring chapter there I knowwwww. There's more to come, just cope and keep reading. Writer's block causes boring chapters. I might as well start leaving cliff hangers, I know lots of readers including myself hate them.

Sorry for the late update though. Your thoughts loves?

A little encouragement for people out there having a tough time.

When life throws very large, awkwardly bitter (lemons are already bitter yes but some lemons are just so bitter) at you, you know what to do. Make lemonade out of them, put it in the fridge to chill, (very chilled) take it out, drink'em and stick your tongue out to life! Then life still goes on baby. Ain't the end of the world!!

Don't forget to vote and comment. It's my motivation people. Your ideas too. I need them. I'm pretty much not sure how the story's going to end. I need your help. Love y'all. ❤❤❤❤