Part 1

I shut the door with my iPod in my hand, mindlessly singing; while my best friend and roommate Bridget danced to the beat of "Green light" by Lorde. We descended the stairs, making our way out of the apartment and into the fresh London air.

Still humming along, we stroll down to Harvey Nichols to buy some new clothes for my cousin Daniella's wedding on Saturday. A purple knee length dress catches my eye in the display window.

"Go try it on; I see a cute pink one over there "exclaimed Bridget.

She walks over to the stands while I make my way to the display. Grabbing the dress, I go to try it on. It's a perfect fit, so I take a photo to send to my mom and Daniella, before slipping it off again. Bridget bought the dress she had her eye on while I was changing and was now waiting for me to pay.

"Where to now?" I asked, heading out of the store.

 "Starbucks!" We Chorused together and hooked arms.

 I feel a tug on my arm and am pulled to a stop. Looking over to see Bridget frozen in place, staring ahead of us. Following her gaze, my mouth dropped open in horror; mirroring her expression perfectly.

Standing not 20 feet away from us, was none other than my ex-boyfriend Michael, the man who ruined my life.

*****

Four years ago,

I was eighteen and we had been dating for a month. He was twenty-two at the time and brought me along to one of his college parties. I was nervous to meet his friends, seeing as they are a little older than me.

We walked through the house, Michael grabbing a beer as we went past the kitchen. He spent a lot of time drinking so it didn't really surprise me. Entering the living room, I noticed four men his age sitting on a couch. Over in the corner, there were two men in their late twenties playing cards at a table.

Not wanting to be there, I asked if we could leave. He refused and took my hand, leading me out of the room so we could talk. I followed willingly, thinking nothing of it. We stopped at a door, he looked at me and turned the knob, revealing a bedroom. He started getting aggressive, pushing me into the room and onto the bed.

"Are my friends not good enough for you, miss perfect?" He spats, obviously drunk.

"I'm just not comfortable at parties, you know that" I say, sitting up.

"I'm sick of you thinking that you are better than everyone. Guess what? You're not. You're fat, worthless, and a waste of space. I'm going to make you wish that you were never born." Gritting his teeth, he closed the distance between us, pinning me down.

*******

When he finally climbed off me, He wore a look of pure disgust.

"Get up, let's go." He says harshly, dragging me to my feet.

"No" I whimper "let go of me"

"You are coming with me I said!" Pushing me and causing my head to hit the corner of a bookshelf. Pain shooting through my body.

Crumpled on the floor, I felt a foot connect with my face, and my ribs.

****

The Present

I'm not sure how I got there, but I woke up in the hospital, with a broken nose and ribs. He got away with what he had done, and I haven't seen him since. Not until today.

Michael turns his head, locking his eyes to mine.

"I think I'm going to be sick" I say, taking Bridget's hand and exiting Starbucks as quickly as I can.

We run home, and I collapse on the floor; my past fears and insecurities flooding my mind once again.