nueve - teenagers are obnoxious

Start from the beginning

"Why are you here?" I asked, a little nervous to see her. Why was she here on a Saturday? All the workers who worked on the weekdays were off on weekends and Olivia was one of them.

"Just getting my paycheck," she smirked at me for no reason.

"Cool," I gave her a quick smile and hoped I could be on my way, but she blocked my path with her arm and I knew she didn't want me to leave, not yet.

"I see you're going somewhere," I frowned; it was none of her business.

"Yes, and I would like it if you would move," by that point I was a little agitated and just wanted to go to the movies with Hunter.

"Aw, don't be like that," her icy eyes pierced into mine like sharpened knives. I wanted to look away but she kept my eyes locked to hers. "Tell me the truth, are you going to see Lawrence?"

"No, she's going to see me," a strong arm wrapped around shoulders and I jumped a little out of pure surprise. I looked up and saw Hunter's glistening eyes giving Olivia a very angry look.

"Oh, in that case then," Olivia's face lit up, and I knew why. Hunter wasn't Lawrence and that was all she really cared about, "you guys have fun," she gave us a smile that looked genuine, probably the smile she gave to my mom.

After she left Hunter kept his arm around me and we walked out of the diner through all the people who sat at the tables. His arm was strong, maybe a little bit too strong, I wanted to shrug out of it but I didn't want to make him feel bad and make me seem rude so I didn't.

"You look great today," Hunter smiled at me warmly and I blushed a little. He had on a plaid shirt with some dark jeans and his dirt coloured hair was gelled to the side perfectly. He looked preppy, and I didn't know if I liked his style of not.

"So what was Olivia talking about?" Hunter asked once we were in his car and on the way to the theatre.

"Huh?"

"About you to see Lawrence, why would she ask that?" he kept his eyes on the road but I sensed him tensing up, just a tad bit.

"Oh I dunno..." I said innocently without elaborating. I didn't want him to know I've been hanging out with Lawrence.

"Lawrence has his issues you know, we used to be good friends but after that family incident...we drifted apart, he's been pretty bitter ever since," Hunter shook his head, as if he felt bad for Lawrence and I would've too if I knew he had to go through a horrible family incident. "He's also the owner of that house the party was at a few weeks ago,"

"Oh wow, really?" I pretended to be surprised and Hunter believed me.

"Mhm,"

We made very little talk the whole way to the theatre, to be honest, it was awkward. Like extremely awkward, he was pretty tense most of the time as if he was afraid to say the wrong thing, and because of tension between us, I didn't want to say much either. With Lawrence it was different. We could make fun of each other as much as we'd liked and it was barely ever awkward.

"I'll pay for your ticket," Hunter grabbed his wallet and pulled out some bills. I tried to stop him with my arms but obviously it was pointless.

"It's okay, I got this," I tried to pass the cashier my own bills. But Hunter stopped my and almost forced his money into the cashier's hands. Her eyes were wide and she was staring at us like we were aliens. "You really didn't need to do that, I could've paid for myself,"

"Alice, it's a date," he shook his head at me and went ahead to the concession stand. "I'm paying for the popcorn and drinks too. Don't even try,"

I didn't try because I knew it would be pointless.