Anger

Several weeks went by without hearing- or seeing- anything of your eclectic android friend. You figured that, perhaps, Data had become so busy with his regular work on the bridge that he'd forgotten about his little experiment. After all, you'd seen very little of the bridge, but you'd gotten the impression that it was a rather tense environment to work in. You didn't blame Data, but you were still a little disappointed you hadn't seen him in a while.

Besides, you reminded yourself, you had your own job to worry about, and dear lord, was it taxing sometimes. "The average score for today's reading quiz," you announced testily in front of your most troublesome class, "was a 69%. How many of you honestly read the chapter that I assigned?"

Every hand went up. You rolled your eyes, knowing full well that this wasn't true. "Some of your grades are in serious jeopardy. There's only a few weeks until your report cards come out." The clock struck two, signaling that students were to change classes. "You're dismissed," you said with a sigh, then stopped and smirked to yourself. "Please remember to comport yourselves with dignity."

This earned you several odd looks from the kids as they left, and you sat down at your desk, preparing for your next class. As you gathered your notes, you heard a light knock at your door. "Come in," you called mindlessly, expecting a student from your next class.

To your surprise, Lieutenant Commander Data stepped in, gazing observantly around the bookshelves that lined your classroom. "Hello, Miss y/l/n," he said softly, returning his attention to you.

"Data!" you exclaimed, unable to keep the delight out of your voice. "What are you doing here?"

Data strode towards your desk, hands tucked respectfully behind his back. "With your permission, I believe it would be beneficial for my research to observe a lesson. Although I am programmed to be adept at providing information in the form of speeches and presentations, I would like to thoroughly examine a human's lecture and compare it with what I myself might have done."

You smiled. "Lucky for you, my worst class just left. This next class is typically calm enough that it will allow you proper observation."

"You attach different levels of fondness to different sets of students?" asked Data, tilting his head to the side in that endearing way of his.

You laughed, shushing him quickly. "Let's not talk about that here. That's not typically a thing that teachers share with students."

Suddenly, your door burst open, and you jumped, startled. A small group of your students came barreling in. "The robot's here!" Brian called loudly, pointing at Data. Brian was about seventeen, and, as far as you had seen, was a bit of a bully. You'd never liked him, but that remark made you curl your fists in anger.

"I am not a robot," Data corrected. "I am an android."

Brian scoffed, slamming his bookbag down and slumping in his seat. "Same thing."

"Actually, there are distinct differences between robots and androids," Data clarified; and, even though you knew he couldn't feel emotion, there seemed to be a spark of annoyance in his yellow eyes.

Fortunately, many of your other students greeted Data respectfully and took their seats politely. Data sat in an empty desk near the back of his room, and you couldn't help but smile fondly when you saw him take out his research notebook and prepare to take notes.

"Miss y/l/n, why is that even here?" Brian sneered, pointing back at Data.

"Lieutenant Commander Data, as is his proper name, Brian, is going to be observing our class today in order to research human behavior, and you will leave him be or you will report to my office across the hall," you said sharply. You turned towards the chalkboard, took a deep breath, then resumed speaking to the class in a gentler tone. "Please take out your copies of Much Ado About Nothing."