Chapter Forty-Four: Right Now

Start from the beginning

Sophie smiled and nodded. "He has his daddy's eyes," she murmured. Lucas grinned as he moved behind his girlfriend and child, kissing her temple.

"Can I?" I asked softly. Sophie giggled and nodded, slowly passing the beautiful little bundle of love into my arms. I cradled Xander gently, rocking him softly as I smiled down at my godson.

Max's arms came around me suddenly, around my waist, setting his chin on my shoulder. He lovingly watched me, kissing my hair as I stared at the little angel in my arms. "You look so at peace," he murmured into my ear. I smiled.

"I love him so much," I laughed. "Max and I are gonna spoil you sooo much, baby boy."

Lucas and Sophie laughed. "I want to steal him," I told them. Max's thumbs were tracing my hip bones just beneath my shirt, watching the sweet baby in my arms close those stunning blue eyes again, yawning sleepily.

"He was up more than usual last night," Sophie told us. "He's probably in need of a nap."

I nodded, shifting Xander into Max's arms for a moment. Max grinned down at his godson, making my heart melt softly in my chest. He looked so happy holding the baby in his arms, and I suddenly had my mind swept away by images of my loving Max holding a young child of our very own, laughing lovingly and smiling down at a bundle of joy we brought into the world. Lucas moved towards Max, both of them smiling and laughing as Max held the child.

"He looks good," I heard Sophie whisper. "Max I mean, holding a baby."

I nodded a little, smiling as Max tightened his hold on the baby. I bit my lip, feeling myself falling for him more and more as he leaned down and softly kissed Xander's forehead. "He looks like he's gonna make one hell of a dad," she said, quietly. I grinned and nodded again, swinging my arm around her shoulders as Max carefully handed Xander back to his daddy.

"You looked sweet," I told him as he came closer, shoving his hands in his pockets sheepishly. "Being a dad looks natural on you."

Max smiled shyly, biting his lip and kissing my cheek. "So does being a mom on you," he whispered into my ear. I smiled, pulling one hand out of his pocket and interlocking my fingers with his.

Lucas came beside Sophie, letting her softly kiss their son. "I'm gonna lay him down, okay baby girl?"

She nodded, kissing his jaw softly and whispering a sweet 'I love you' to their child. Lucas smiled at her, slowly taking Xander down the hallway to the nursery. Max suddenly look at Sophie, biting his lip, lost in thought.

"When's the last time you were out of the house?" he asked, setting one hand on my hip. Soph shrugged.

"I haven't," she said. "Not since the baby was born."

I frowned. "It's been over a week, sweetheart," I spoke. "You should get out of the house."

Sophie just shrugged again. "I don't know, guys," she said. "I don't wanna overwhelm Lucas like that."

I smiled slightly. "Why don't you and I go get our nails done or something?" I asked. "Max and Lucas can stay and take care of Xander."

Max nodded. "I need to talk to Lucas for a little while anyway."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "About what?"

Max laughed, shaking his head. "Don't worry your pretty little head about," he said, tapping his finger on my temple. "Nothing bad, I promise, angel."

I nodded a little, leaning up and kissing his jaw. "C'mon, Soph," I spoke. "Relax a little."

She bit her lip as Lucas came back out into the living room. "What's going on?"