25

Marinette woke in the morning to Chat sitting up on the chaise with his legs crossed, and he wasn't paying any attention to her. No, he was staring intently at the floor, and she wondered what he was thinking about.

   Marinette shut off her alarm and as she glanced at the time, her eyes widened and she threw off the covers. She was late. Again.

   She practically stumbled down her steps to grab her clothes and head to the bathroom. Chat didn't look up at her at all. He continued his staring contest with the floor. She rushed around getting changed, and then ran downstairs before her parents tried to come up to wake her up and then end up seeing Chat.

   Yeah, she wasn't ready to explain that one.

   Her mom was in the kitchen making breakfast. Marinette assumed her father was already in the bakery preparing for the day.

   She told her mother she was late and grabbed two croissants. Going back to her room to grab her purse, she stopped and looked at the black cat for a moment. he hadn't moved at all. Could he be sick?

   "Chat?" she asked hesitantly.

   His head was in his hands, but he lifted it slowly. "Yes?"

   "Here," she said, and handed him a croissant. He took it, meeting her eyes.

   He looked so devoid of emotion that for a moment, Marinette was shocked to the point that she couldn't move. "Chat, what's wrong?"

   He shook his head and looked downwards again. "Nothing. I'll meet you outside."

   He stood swiftly, and leaped right up to her bed and through the trapdoor so fast she had to assume he was trying to get away from her.

//

   Chat Noir had no idea what to think. Could it really be her? It would explain so many things, but he had no proof...

//

   Marinette grabbed her purse and was about to sling it over her shoulder when she heard a small yelp. She opened it and peered inside, surprised to see Tikki with her eyes shining with tears.

   "Marinette..."

   "Tikki? What's wrong?"

   "My fin..."

   The kwami struggled around in the purse, and Marinette looked to her fins, noticing one was stuck in the clasp. "Tikki!"

   She quickly released the clasp from its hold on Tikki and the kwami sighed in relief, rubbing her fin tenderly.

   "How long have you been stuck?" Marinette asked her.

   "All night. I didn't want to call out or anything, because Chat Noir..."

   The girl felt horrible that Tikki was hurting for so long. "I'm sorry, Tikki."

   "It isn't your fault, Marinette. I'm okay now."

   The words didn't soothe her. "It is my fault," she whispered. "If I hadn't been more careful, none of this would have ever happened."

   Tikki flew out of the purse and hovered in front of Marinette's face. "Don't be ridiculous, Marinette. There's nothing you can do when it comes to love."

   Tikki's words shook Marinette to the bone. Her eyes widened, and glazed over. She wasn't looking at Tikki anymore.

   There's nothing you can do when it comes to love.

   Marinette didn't know anything anymore.

//

   Marinette made it to school barely on time. She came crashing through the doorway in the latest fashion and sat down panting in her seat. Alya only shook her head at her.

   Mrs. Bustier gave her a look, and Marinette winced but was saved from reprimanding when Adrien did the same thing she had and burst into the classroom. He, however, was scolded by the teacher. He then sat down in front of her and pulled out whatever he needed from his bag.

   Alya shook her head again.

   The class continued forward, and Marinette was again working on all she had missed during the time of her amnesia. She was so sick of it. Everyone else was paired up (besides Alya, who worked alone because of Marinette) and working on a research assignment on something that actually sounded interesting.

   Of course, with Marinette's luck, she had to miss it.

   She turned to Alya to complain, but saw her attention elsewhere. She was intently watching Adrien and Nino.

   "Dude, what is your problem today? You're totally out of it," Nino was saying.

   "It's nothing, Nino. I'm just tired."

   Adrien did look tired, Marinette noticed. He was slouched over his desk. He never slouched. He had the perfect posture. She couldn't see his face, but she assumed he didn't look perky there by the way Nino was acting.

   "You're always tired. You look sick."

   "I'm not sick."

   Alya cut in. "Adrien, is everything okay?"

   Her turned to look at her, but his eyes met Marinette's. He quickly looked away. "Yeah."

   Marinette decided to get involved as well. "Adrien, you can always tell us if something is wrong, you know. We can help. We can be there for you."

   He didn't turn around to look at her. He only shook his head. "I know."

   That was the end of that conversation.

//

   For the next few days, Chat was... different. He didn't say a single word to her, only when he was leaving to switch with Ladybug or when she told him she was going somewhere. Quite a few times she had to deliver baked goods to families that were nearby for her parents because they were always so busy. Chat had to follow her on the rooftops.

   If Marinette was being honest with herself, she really was scared. Every time she went outside or walked to school, she felt like she was being watched - and not by Chat. His eyes were a comfort that made her feel like no one could hurt her.

   The never ending ache that plagued Marinette whenever she looked at Chat Noir was starting to fade. He was familiar to her, but she was also starting to accept that whatever was between them had to stay quiet. She wished that they could love each other freely without restraints, but...

   It was never going to happen.

   Marinette was sitting on her balcony, in the chair that she had shared with him so many times, and she stared at the stars as they told their stories night after night.

   And then she was thrown into a nightmare.