※ Epilogue ※

Nine years later.

※ ※ ※ ※ ※

"Don't forget to put them in alphabetical order," I instruct my employees as I hand him a stack of hard-copy books. He nods and begins his route towards the non-fiction section of the bookstore. I watch closely as he reaches the far end of the store. Sure enough, he begins placing the books in the correct order on the shelf.

I breathe out a sigh of relief. Resuming my seat on the stool behind the counter, I survey the store. Cases and cases of books occupy every inch of space, filling the three floors above me. The building is so expertly constructed, the middle of the store is empty all the way up to the ceiling like a cathedral. The upper floors wrap around the store with ease, containing dozens of bookcases and sitting chairs. I watch some customers browse the mystery section on level two.

I smile to myself, satisfied with my shop. Pulling out a soft-copy book from under the counter, I begin reading. As I skim a few sentence, I don't even comprehend a paragraph before I feel a presense behind me. I grin and roll my eyes as someone kisses my cheek.

"Shawn," I half-groan, half-scold. I spin in my seat to face him. "I'm trying to read."

He laughs. "Yeah, because that's so much more important that I am." He reaches to shut my book, but I smack his hand away.

"I swear, if you lose my page, I might have to kill you."

His tone turns mock-serious. "Ashley, I know where you hide your bow."

Now it's my turn to laugh. "Hey, no making fun of my bow."

Shawn circles around the front of the counter, trying to close my book again. I easily block his arm. No matter how many times I teach him, he never understands: no messing with my books.

"So do you wanna to go out to dinner tonight?" Shawn asks.

"If you can wait 'til seven," I say, checking my HoloTab. "That's the earliest I can close up."

"Sounds like a date," he jokes lightly. With his arms propped up on the counter and his brown hair freshly cut, he looks so handsome.

I laugh and kiss him across the counter. "I'm all yours."

With a satisfied grin on his face, Shawn kisses me back. "See you at seven."

I exhale lovingly as he exits. Watching Shawn's broad shoulders until the doors close behind him, he disappears around the corner, heading back to his job as an architect. It's a career I both applaud and despise, but I never told him the latter.

※ ※ ※ ※ ※

Over the course of the day, I sell and rent books to a surprisingly large number of people. But to my disappointment, almost all of the titles are HoloBooks. Soon it's 6:30, and since the store is empty, I let my workers go home early. After the last employee leaves for the night, I begin my closing-up duties.

I begin on the third floor. After sweeping the floor and dusting the shelves, I collect a stack of books to put away. The shop door rings open as I slide a book into its proper place. Footsteps sound below me.

"Can I help you?" I call to the person. I put back a few more titles before peering over the banister at the customer. I lean over the wooden railing to get a good look at the person.

"Hey, Ashley," Daniel says.

My heart skips ten beats as my body jumps out of its skin. I grab the wooden railing for support, feeling like I could faint. It's him.

I smile politely at Daniel, buying time to collect myself. Yet I can't stop staring at him. With a defined jawline and enhanced looks, my old attractions attempt to ignite. Then I see what's in his hands: a bouquet of wildflowers.