※ 22 ※

As Vivian and I push through the crowd, we notice an extensive amount of people moving towards the nearest street corner. I try to get a glimpse of what everyone's so focused on getting, but I don't succeed. Between the limited view and loud music, the song lyrics and human voices mesh together.

"Hand me one! I--"

"Oh, baby baby, don't you know--"

"I've got money right--"

"Lookin' so good from your--"

"I'll take a case--"

"Can I have another--"

"Oh, I just wanna show you off--"

The shouting continues as Vivian and I finally make it to a point where we can see through the gaps between peoples' raised hands grasping bills. Renegades and shop workers behind a table dish out portions of bread and cups of exotic liquids from an array of different bottles.

"Liquor," Vivian yells in awe as she turns around to face me. "Gosh, that stuff is so rare. How did they even find it?"

A man dressed in street clothes next to us hears Vivian's comments and explains loudly. "They raided a stockhouse full of it. Stupid Panel members stashed it and had it protected with about ten guards."

My mind doubles back to my walks to the juvenile center. I always used to see at least six guards every day stationed at a long shed behind the capitol building.

I shake my head at no one in particular. No wonder our country's in debt to Europe. Our own Panel didn't know how to use tax money properly. Instead of feeding the poor, they bought liquor and other luxuries.

"Geez, that's a lot of drinks, Mr. No-Name," Vivian says over the music. "So the Panel loaded a house full of alcohol? All for themselves?"

"My name's Robert, but not only that," he continues loudly, "but they bought wine, vodka, and almost everything in between. They even stored a couple pallets of empty shots."

"What's a shot?" I ask, adjusting the wooden bow handle across my chest Robert laughs, pointing to the shopkeeper spilling clear liquid into a tiny glass cup.

"The small glasses filled with alcohol are shots. You drink 'em in one swallow. My grandfather used to tell me back in his day, young people like us would have them at parties."

"You seem to be an expert on alcohol," Vivian remarks.

"I am, so to speak. It's because my family owns a pub that's been business for four generations, at least until alcohol was banned. My pop's the one serving the drinks over there." He aims a finger at an older-looking man with nearly all gray hair, handing out servings of food. "Come with me and I'll hook you two up with some drinks."

"Okay," Vivian yells. We follow Robert through the crowd, receiving quite a few shoves before making it behind the table loaded with hundreds of different bottles.

"Happy Renegade Day!" a weapon-equipped girl says. The color of her clothing is closer to gray than black, indicating she's from the Canadian base camp, at least I think.

Vivian and I thank her and wish her the same. The woman continues serving people in line, collecting money in a box.

"Hey, Dad," Robert says to his father. "Can you get us some shots?"

The man nods. "I can see these girls did their part with helping to free our country. Their knives gleams in the sun with pride."

I smile and laugh a little as Robert tells his father to stop being so poetic. Robert's dad hands us each a shot glass filled with a bluish liquid.

"Enjoy," Robert says, and he throws his head back, drinking the liquid. Vivian and I look at each other, shrug, and follow suit. After all, I might never have a chance to drink this stuff again.

As soon as the liquid enters my mouth, it burns into my nose and causes me to gasp. Vivian, on the other hand, enjoys the burn. Robert's father adds some water to two additional shots for her. For me, he gives me a roll and a bottle of lemonade. I nearly cry in gratitude because lemonade is so rare.

I give Robert's dad five bills as his son joins him behind the makeshift bar. Before I had him the bill, I notice six zeros behind the number five on the paper.

I read the full number out loud. Five million bills...

Daniel gives me a sarcastic grin. "Better; she lit my pants on fire."

"Really?" I say happily, laughing loudly. "I would have paid five million bills to see that."

"Oh, really?" Daniel sasses.

"Yeah, really," I sass back.

He unballs his shirt and throws it over his shoulder, automatically running a hand through his hair. The motion is so attractive that it erases the small jabs Daniel took over the past month. "Then I guess you can hang onto your five million."

The gesture is so unexpected that I hand over the bill even though I don't want to. Another song begins playing over the speakers, and this one has (I think) female singers instead of males.

"We always dreamed about this better life, this better life."

Vivian and I jump back into the crowd. "Isn't this amazing!" Vivian exclaims. Just as I'm about to answer with a happy scream and a yes, I am holding lemonade for God's sake, a guy stops the words from coming out of mouth. Oh, man, he is a hottie. His brown hair and beautiful face possess the kind of beauty that makes you panic inside.

"You wanna dance?" he asks Vivian. She nods, looking away from him and giving me a wide-eyed grin.

I smile and give her an obnoxious wave to signal for her to go. She mouths a "see you later" and runs off with the boy.

I smile in their direction. Vivian deserves to have fun, but subtle worry keeps bothering me in the back of mind. It's like when you forget something, and you hopelessly try to remember what you forgot.

As if some brick wall was broken down in my mind, I remember what's been bothering me. I'm in Baltimore, and I haven't even gone home yet.

Just the though of my small house sends warmth through me. Warmth not needed due to the beating sun and summer heat.

I stuff the bread roll in my mouth and chew it quickly. I pop open the bottle of lemonade and take a sip (which turns into a chug) of the tart, sugary liquid. I try not to feel too awkward by standing still in the middle of a dancing crowd, but I fail miserably.

I screw the lid back on the lemonade and look at the clouds. The pure blue sky fills me with hope for the future. Everything's finally falling into place. I return my to the crowd and begin to head in the direction of home.

"Our winter melts under the summer skies, the summer skies."

I nod my head nonchalantly to the music and let it fill me. I trudge through the crowd, squeezing between dancing bodies. Someone tugs my arm, and I ignore it for a millisecond. Before I can even react or whip a knife from my vest, I'm dipped close to the ground and locked in a kiss.

※ ※ ※ ※ ※

Instead of time standing still, I'm back on my feet and looking into the brown eyes of a boy. He's standing way to close to me, but I freeze. The first things I notice are his dark hair and glasses, a perfect combination of good looks and nerdiness. But why am I face-to-face with a complete stranger?

The lemonade bottle in my hand loosens and falls to the ground. I fumble for a knife.

※ ※ ※ ※ ※

oh, there's another guy in the picture besides danny :)

Question of the Day: do you know the songs i'm referring to yet! I'm going to tell you anyways.

I used a one direction song (Kiss You) and an icona pop song (All Night). I doubt either will last over 100 years into the year 2130, but you never know.

heck, they're outdated considering today's new music.