whats it to you?

july fourth 2018
julianna/annie

'whoooo!' connor yells snapping open a coke. 'dude im lowkey nervous...' hayden paces around the room. 'we can tell' i laugh. he jokingly rolls his eyes and sits down next to me. we have a mini conversation on the race. 'pinewoods got nothing, and i mean nothing! on us.' kenzie tries to cheer us up. 'guys, guys i...' jayden bursts in the door. 'you scared the crap outta me babe! what is it?' connor pats the spot next to him but she sits on his lap instead. we all face towards them and wait for her to finish. 'i uh, forgot...' she fiddles with her rings. 'jayden really!' 'oh my-' 'you've got to be kidding-' 'i will kick your ass if you don't finish your sentence' 'jayden...' is all we heard around the room. 'i really love motocross!' kenzie randomly blurts. 'i really love you...' hayden mumbles. we all look at him. 'what?' i squint my eyes at him. 'i said yes me too! i love you all so much.' he spits out. i look down 'awww! love you too!' we all say. 'yeah kenzie...take notes from hayden.' connor teases her. 'shut it!' she throws the rest of her sandwich at connor's face but it hits jayden. 'bitch!' she screams swiping mayonnaise off her eye. 'ok guys! it's time...' coach jessens opens the door. we all stand and hayden slightly places his hand on my waist. 'pinewood recommended boy girl partners for the first race so here are the partners.' he flips through his notes. 'ok so, kenzie and connor, jayden and hayden, and annie and johnny.' he leads us out, hayden and i being last. me and hayden are...i dont know. i think him and kenzie have something but then he always flirts with me. we've been best friends since we were 12. we met after a national race in maryland at a pizza place. 'good luck!' we all do a group hug. 'one, two, three...armadillos!' we go our separate ways finding our bikes. 'i look up and see haydens family. i wave and they wave back. my mom and hayley are sitting next to them. i make a heart for them and they make one back. 'annie! it's time to start!' johnny yells. i walk my bike over. 'you ready?' He puts his gloves on. 'yeah...you?' i ask doing the same. 'good...just a bit nervous.' he tests his helmet by lifting the protective screen. 'same...you got this though.' i place a hand on his shoulder. 'thanks..you too..' we both put on our helmets on and rev our bikes. the crowd cheers. the pinewood kids drive up to us and they start the countdown. '5,4,3,2,1' they drop the gates and we're off.