Chapter 14 - Pillow Bombs

It was Wednesday afternoon and I had spent all day waiting for my grade to be updated. It wasn't until three in the afternoon that Professor Davis updated the grade book. Once I had seen my grade, I became so overwhelmed that I threw my pillow across the room.

D plus? How was that even possible? I studied so damn hard! I was beyond frustrated at this point. How could I left something so simple as a stupid boy get in my way of school?

"Urgh!" I shouted. Maybe I was just doing too much. I should probably quit some clubs, open some space up in my calendar. I decided that I'd quit dance team and maybe join up next year. I could also take a break from the fundraiser, I'm sure Audrey would understand. A soft knock on the door interrupted my thoughts.

"Come in!"

"You alright, Solina? I heard a big thud from next door." It was my neighbor, Abby. We didn't talk much but she was always extremely sweet to me.

"Yeah. I just didn't do well on my calculus midterm. I'll live."

"Dude that sucks! And I know how hard you studied. You barely left the library!" Abby came and sat next to me on my bed.

"Yeah. Honestly, there's nothing I can do but work harder, I guess."

"Well keep it up, girl. Maybe you just had a rough week or something, you know? Sometimes stuff like that just happens."

"Can I ask you for some advice, Abby?"

"Sure thing!" I went on to explain to Abby about Zak and asked if I should go out with him again. I didn't dare mention anything about Amanda though.

"Well, I say give him another chance. Maybe he's just really into you! I would stop overthinking it."

"Yeah, you're right. Thanks, Abby."

"No problem! I'm always here to help." Abby smiled before going back to her dorm. I decided to call Zak. It wouldn't hurt, right?

"Solina! How are you?" He asked, obviously happy that I had called.

"I'm doing alright, Zak. How are you?"

"I'm better now that you've called. Look, I feel really bad for being so pushy. I knew you were busy this week but still went ahead and pestered you. I'm sorry, Solina." Awe man, was he sweet or what? I feel kind of guilty now for thinking he was creepy. Maybe Abby was right. He was just really into me.

"Thanks, Zak, that's really sweet of you. I appreciate it."

"Don't worry about it. Did you get your grade for your midterm?"

"Unfortunately, yes. I studied really hard and still did poorly."

"I'm sorry to hear that! Professor Davis, right? He's always happy to help out."

"How'd you know the name of my professor?" I didn't feel bad anymore for calling him creepy.

"Oh, I thought you knew I attended UON. Davis taught me calculus, too."

"Really? What a small world!" Okay, maybe I'm still overthinking this.

"It really is. Not to change the topic so abruptly, but I was wondering if I could take you out again this weekend."

"I'd love to, Zak. Does Saturday work?"

"Saturday works. I'll get you at seven if that's okay with you."

"That's perfect. I'll see you then!"

"Bye, Solina!" We hung up the phone and I threw myself back against the bed.

What had my life come to? I was lying to my best friend, dating an almost-stalker, and bombing my calculus class. I threw another pillow at the wall, not realizing I had hit Amanda as she walked into the room.

"Hey!" She screamed.

"Shit, sorry!"

"What's going on that you felt the need to throw pillows at innocents?" Amanda exclaimed, dropping her bag at her desk and collapsing on her bed.

"I bombed my calculus mid-term."

"Bro what did you get?"

"A D plus."

"Damn, son. At least you're not failing. I got my grade back for my English midterm."

"And?"

"F."

"Glad to know were in this sinking ship together then."

"Agreed." Amanda then passed out, and rightfully so. She's been working as hard as I have. Before I had the chance to fall asleep myself, my phone rang.

"Hi mom," I sighed.

"Hi, honey! How are you?"

"I'm doing alright, tired from midterms."

"That's understandable, honey. You worked very hard."

"Yeah."

"Honey, you know I'm not one to snoop around your business," she started. Oh boy, here we go.

"But I saw some photos of you and some TV star on Facebook, some guy who hunts ghosts or something?" Shitshitshit fuck! Holy fuck! No way. There were no cameras there the entire night! How did pictures release?

"Oh yeah. I'm kind of well, dating him, I think."

"Oh honey, that's so great! Is he nice to you? Does he treat you well?"

"Yeah mom, he's really sweet. We're going on a second date this weekend. I have to ask you something. I need you to keep this a secret."

"Say no more, say no more. Word's safe with me."

"Thanks, mom. Zak just doesn't want anyone to know yet. We didn't even know photos were being taken of us."

"No problem, sweetie. I love you! Be safe with him, please!" She hung up and I immediately called Zak, running outside of the dorm to talk to him.

"Hey, love. Two phone calls in one day? Do you miss me?"

"Pfft, you wish. But serious talk, some paparazzi got photos of us the other night and they're all over social media."

"Are you serious? I made sure it was totally private. I never saw any cameras!"

"I know! But I need you to find a way to get them removed."

"Hey, I understand you want our relationship to be concealed but do that many people on campus watch Ghost Adventures?" God, was now really the time to be logical?

"Can you just do it, please? For me?" I heard him sigh.

"Anything for you. You're one lucky gal, Solina."

"Thanks Zak," I hesitated before making a kiss sound and hanging up the phone. That should hold him until Saturday–hopefully.