Chapter 1 - Anomalies & Other Weird Shit

So I mentioned that my best friend, Amanda, is super emo. Not like super emo, but emo enough. Her eyes are always smudged with black eye makeup, her hair is straightened so much that I think she's started to damage it, and her wall in our dorm is covered ceiling-to-floor in posters of Pierce the Veil, Sleeping with Sirens, any emo/punk band you can think of. 

Naturally, her interest in emo-related subjects leads her to like some pretty strange things. She's super into skulls and bones and whatnot, and that's not bad. But she loves all things paranormal. Now, don't get me wrong, people can like what they like as long as they're not hurting anyone. But she's obsessed! She goes on about strange occurrences that happen, things called "anomalies" (sp?), and near-by hauntings. If we hang out on one of our down-days, she'll force me to binge watch Ghost Adventures with her. She loves the show. I had heard about it prior to her word-vomiting it to me once she discovered it, but wasn't really interested. I may be a good little Christian, but I don't really believe in the paranormal. Sure, the show's got some great evidence. I'm down for it. But honestly, the show's funnier than it is paranormal. The way the host is so serious all the time, my god. Dude's got a stick up his ass or something! 

Anyways, this all leads up to the start of the main plot of this letter. So it has been a few weeks into college, and the two of us are handling pretty well. We both go to the University of Nevada, but since its such a big school we rarely have classes together, especially since we have different majors. But we room together and are inseparable nonetheless. So one day, I'm chilling alone in our dorm, watching Riverdale and she bursts into the room crying. I think something's wrong, and immediately go to comfort her. 

"OMG are you okay, Amanda? What happened?" I asked, pausing my show to go up to her. I went to hug her and she pushed me away.

"Bitch, I'm more than okay! Remember that Ghost Adventures lottery I signed up for?" She exclaimed. 

"Of course I remember!" I didn't remember. About two months ago, Ghost Adventures announced that they were holding a lottery for fans to spend a day with them and go on a mini-investigation.  

"Well, I won!" She screamed. I screamed back, and we hugged and jumped up and down.

"I'm so happy for you, Amanda!" I said once we had calmed down.

"I'm happy for you, too! Because you're coming with me!" She announced. My jaw dropped.

"Wait, what? I mean, I love and support you, but why me?" 

"I don't know anyone else who watches the show. You may not like it, but at least you watch it. Besides, I'm going to need moral support if I stand next to the god-like Zak Bagans, let alone talk to him!" Amanda spoke with so much excitement it was as if she was meeting her favorite celebrities. Oh... wait, she is. Whoops!

"I don't know, girl, there's some other fan who'd enjoy it way more than I would." I was still hesitant. Frankly, I didn't want to spend a day with these guys. Yeah they were funny, but to be locked in an old building for twelve hours with them? I don't think so.

"Pleaaaase, Solina? I need you. Who's going to calm me down when we meet them? Who's going to talk sense into me if I begin to hyperventilate? Please!" She was on her knees begging me. 

"Fine!" I exclaimed.

"Yay!" She shouted, giving me one more hug.

"So when is it?" I asked, grabbing my water bottle off my nightstand and taking a swig.

"This Friday. They're sending a special car to come to pick us up at 9:30 in the morning." Amanda replied, sitting down on her bed.

"Jeez! That's only two days away. Could they have told us a little sooner?"

"I know, right? But honestly, I'm just glad I was the lucky fan!"

"Yeah, I am too." We both looked at each other and laughed. Amanda continued telling me of the plans they had alerted her of. We, and by that, I mainly mean Amanda, spent the next day prepping for what was to come. Little did I know that something so simple to me would change my life.