28. Sleeping With The Enemy

Start from the beginning

Whoa. Breathe, Emma. Just breathe. Every single eyeball in the whole ballroom is on me! Come on, people, it's not like Angelina Jolie has walked in! It's just me.

"Why are they looking at me like that?" I quietly asked Jake and Dean.

"I told you. You're the news." Jake stated and we started walking again. The chatter eventually started to fill the room again.

Okay, I'm not bluffing when I say that seriously almost every man in the room is looking at me. I feel naked. I should've just shopped.

We walked to a table and Dean pulled out a chair for me. I sat down then he and Jake did.

"I remember like no one in here." I whispered.

"It's okay. You're new. They know that." Dean clenched his jaw.

He is not in a good mood. I can see why. I mean, I really do feel naked under everyone's gaze.

"But what I really don't get is, why am I suddenly this much of a big deal? I mean, you've had a lot of assistants before, have this always happened? I can't even see Jake's assistant, or Max's. I see Bob's standing over there, but does she have paparazzi following her too?" I asked Dean, nudging my head to the side.

"Well, let me explain it breifly. Firstly, I'm Dean Parker, the sole heir of Parker's corporation, so I'm kind of really important. Secondly, I've never brought an assistant with me anywhere. I would meet them there if it was necessary, but never let them ride with me as my dates. Thirdly, we've been seen a lot together outside of work, and we've been seen holding hands, which intrigues everyone to know what is going on between us. And all assistants are actually here, yes. Got it?" He whispered.

"Hold on, what do you mean you're the sole heir of Parker's corporation?" I frowned.

"Do you know nothing about me at all?" He shook his head in disbelief before he explained, "Honey, yes, the four of us share the title of CEO, but my dad is the only owner of the corporation."

"Seriously?" I gasped at the new information.

"Yes, try googling me sometime. It'll help." He rolled his eyes at me playfully.

"So does that mean that your father has the final say? Like if there's a conflict and you can't all agree on a decision, does he decide what happens next?" I asked with a smile of amusement.

"No, if like you say there's a conflict and the four of us can't agree on one decision then majority rules." He took as sip of water.

"Well, what if two of you agree and two disagree then?" I asked again with a grin.

"Well, it has actually never happened before, but I'm sure we'll just have to stay in the meeting long enough until one of us is convinced. We're a family. We do everything with love and we all serve the same purpose, which is the greater good of the company. Yes, the methods sometimes differ, but we always figure it out." He shrugged and I decided just then that he had a bigger piece of my heart than before, because even though the company was to be his one day, he only always treated Jake as an equal.

"Good evening, Dean, Jake." A tall man came in view and both Dean and Jake stood up. I followed and the man looked at me with a smile. He shook hands with Jake and Dean then he held out his hand for me.

"You are obviously, Emma, who everyone is talking about." He smirked. I nervously nodded and took his hand. He pulled my hand up to his mouth and kissed my knuckles.

"Well, Emma, allow me to tell you that you are by far the most beautiful woman in this ballroom." He held on my hand for longer than I liked. I tried to pull it out of his grip but he only held it tighter which creeped me out.