Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter Two

THE SWEET MURMURS OF THE night sang sweet melodies, humming in my ears and naturally relaxing my body

THE SWEET MURMURS OF THE night sang sweet melodies, humming in my ears and naturally relaxing my body. The stars decorated the clear midnight sky in a multitude of glimmering specks. Besides the few light posts lining along the main road, the bright full moon was our only source of light as we took the short and silent walk to our cars in the station's small parking lot.

I gnawed on my bottom lip, anxious as to where Michael's thoughts laid. He was a very caring and loving man, but that in turn made him a little on the strict side. Which meant no boys, especially ones like Zeke.

Yes, I was being a tad stereotypical, but how could I not prepare myself for the worst? To expect anything more than the least of a person, would be my own fault. Especially if I was right.

Michael's headlights to his squad car flashed, the vehicle unlocking as he stepped up to the driver's side door. "I'll meet you back at the house, Celeste." His tone left no room for negotiation. Fantastic.

We haven't yet made it a week in town, and I was already going to get lectured. I'm so looking forward to it.

I glanced over my shoulder at Michael, his blonde hair unnaturally bright under the moonlight. "Okay," I replied.

Michael said nothing else, but simply nodded my way then stepped into his vehicle, starting the engine. Pursing my lips, I unlocked my cherry red BRZ, and opened the driver side door. I hesitated, suddenly feeling the heat of a strong and steady gaze on me yet again.

Focusing on keeping the muscles in my body relaxed, I nonchalantly looked around then threw a quick look over my shoulder. Nothing seemed to be amiss, but I still felt as if something was off. Swallowing the lodge in my throat, I furrowed my brows and opened my car door. This place was beginning to give me the creeps.

Sliding behind the wheel, I turned over the engine and shut my door behind me. Adjusted my mirrors a touch, I flicked my eyes through the mirror to look behind me. Trees were beginning to bristle against the wind as the night drove on, everything slowly going to sleep until dawn broke out tomorrow morning.

A shudder makes it course through my body, and I immediately turn on the heater. Tapping away at my phone, I hit play on The Big Bang by Rock Mafia, then shift my car into reverse. Michael pulled out of his spot first, taking his time, then drives out to the exit. His break lights flash bright red and halt, waiting on me to pull up behind him. 

Sighing, and with exhaustion tugging at my limbs, I follow and pull up behind Michael, eager to climb into bed for the night.

As we drove away from the station, I attempted to shake that uneasy feeling, but it wasn't until we had rounded another corner and out of sight from the building did it finally fall away. I vowed then to argue with Michael anytime he wanted me to go back there. 

Relaxing back into my seat, I began whistling along with the song as it played. I reached over, turning up the volume a touch as we turned down another road. The longer the we drove, the more I got into the song. My muscles loosened up completely, the beat swaying my torso along with it until my lips parted and I began singing the lyrics. I lost myself in the song; I lost myself to my own little world, if it was only for a moment.