Chapter 5: Human in Disguise

Start from the beginning

"Do I appear... human?"

"You look human to me Connor..." You walked over to straighten his tie.

The three of you now stood at the station, waiting for the next train. The train only allowed humans, meaning Connor would have to stay disguised the entire time. You could tell this made him a little uncomfortable. After all, androids were not allowed to be outside without their uniform. But you were on a case, and Connor was right when he said you needed his reconstruction abilities. You also weren't lying when you mentioned you wanted him on the case. It made you feel more comfortable, knowing an android was on your side, but you also wanted him there for other reasons. You looked at him now, standing idly beside you, staring into the distance. You nudged him.

"Relax Connor. Remember... you're human now."

"Y-Yes..." Connor attempted to relax his stature, but he still looked a little stiff. You had no more time to correct him though, as the train pulled into the station and you lined up to board. All it took was to show your tickets before your group was allowed to enter.

As you stood on the train, the Lieutenant quietly told you both that other investigators would be there in disguise, as well as actual customers to the restaurant. He wanted you both to be as discreet as possible, and not let anyone know that there could be a potential android break in. The only people who were aware of the potential were some of the senior staff members, and the manager.

To remain as discreet as possible, you and the Lieutenant also dressed formally. The Lieutenant wore one of the few suits he owned that did not come with moth-eaten holes. You wore one of your favourite dresses, that was too formal to wear to most places. It was long enough that it wasn't revealing, but short enough that it was easy to move around in. You had the gun that Connor gave you, strapped on the inside of your thigh. It wasn't active, but loaded, and you knew how to activate it in case you needed to use it. The Lieutenant went over the plan with you both, before you would reach the restaurant.

"When we get to the scene, I'm going to go ahead. I've organized to meet some of the other investigators, and we're going to act like it's an after work meetup." Lieutenant Anderson looked between you both. "I want you two to wait five minutes, then go in after me. [F/N], you will show your ID to the employee at the front desk. She has been informed about the potential break in, and will take you to a good place to keep an eye out."

"Wait!" You interrupted, feeling your cheeks flush, "They're going to think we're on a date or something..."

"I know." Hank looked exasperated, "That's the idea."

Sticking to the plan, you and Connor left the station a few minutes after Hank, walking in the direction of the restaurant. So far, no one had suspected a thing about Connor. He looked just as human as any of them, albeit a little stiffer than most. Although this was only a pretend 'date' you had never actually been on one before, making you feel quite nervous. You weren't really sure how you were supposed to act. Even if the employee at the counter knew you were just on an investigation, the other people at the restaurant would really think you were dating. You shook your head. You weren't supposed to be thinking about this right now. You were supposed to be focusing on the case. You glanced up at Connor. He didn't even look nervous or the least bit apprehensive. Of course he wouldn't. You looked down again. You knew Connor wouldn't feel anything about this situation, as much as you wanted him to. Even if he looked human, and sounded human, in his heart and thoughts he still believed himself to be a machine.

You reached the restaurant right on the time Hank had wanted you to. You entered and waited in a line, then when you approached the counter, you showed your ID to the human employee. She smiled at you, and you quickly put it back into your bag.