The Empty Child

The Tardis is in pursuit of a small spacecraft, Mia hanging on as it bounced around

The Tardis is in pursuit of a small spacecraft, Mia hanging on as it bounced around. The Doctor making sure to wrap his arms around her to keep her steady. "What's the emergency?" She asked him looking up at his face, "It's mauve." He told her gently placing a kiss on her forehead. They were in their own little world, after the present from him. Mia had been all over him which made him extremely happy. "Mauve?" She asked again slightly confused as the TARDIS jumped again causing them to separate.

"The universally recognised colour for danger." He told her going to the other side to pull down a lever as Rose finally came stumbling in the console room. "What happened to red?" Rose asked with a frown of her own, pushing Mia over just as a bump hit so the Doctor wouldn't notice. "That's just humans. By everyone else's standards, red's camp. Oh, the misunderstandings. All those red alerts, all that dancing. It's got a very basic flight computer. I've hacked in, slaved the Tardis. Where it goes, we go."

"And that's safe, is it?"

"Totally." There was a bang and Mia shot him a raised eyebrow, "Okay, reasonably. Should have said reasonably there. No, no, no, no! It's jumping time tracks, getting away from us." He panicked as he rushed around flipping switches and pushing buttons. "What exactly is this thing?" Rose asked across the console, "No idea."

"Then why are we chasing it?"

"It's mauve and dangerous, and about thirty seconds from the centre of London."

The Tardis materializes in a back alley between two terraces. The sort of crowded housing that no longer exists. "Do you know how long you can knock around space without happening to bump into Earth?" The Doctor asked them, Mia shrugs as Rose shakes her head. "Five days? Or is that just when we're out of milk?" She joked as she gripped his hand but he subtly moved away from her. "Of all the species in all the Universe and it has to come out of a cow."

Something is watching them from above, Mia frowns as she looks up but doesn't see anything. "Must have come down somewhere quite close. Within a mile, anyway. And it can't have been more than a few weeks ago. Maybe a month."

"A month? We were right behind it."

"It was jumping time tracks all over the place. We're bound to be a little bit out. Do you want to drive?"

"Yeah. How much is a little?"

"A bit."

"Is that exactly a bit?"

"Ish." He shrugged causing Mia to chuckle and shake her head. "What's the plan, then? Are you going to do a scan for alien tech or something?" Rose asked as they all looked around the dark place. "Rose, it hit the middle of London with a very loud bang. I'm going to ask." The Doctor shows Rose his psychic paper ID for the occasion. "Doctor John Smith, Ministry of Asteroids." She reads it slowly, "It's psychic paper. It tells you-"

"Whatever you want it to tell me, I remember." They come to a door marked Deliveries Only. "Sorry." The Doctor muttered, "Not very Spock, is it, just asking." Rose snipped causing him to roll his eyes, "Door, music, people. What do you think?" He asked towards Mia who just shot him a smile. "I think you should do a scan for alien tech. Give me some Spock, for once. Would it kill you?" The Doctor opens the door with the sonic screwdriver, and looks at Rose's Union Flag top. "Are you sure about that t-shirt?" He asks, "Too early to say. I'm taking it out for a spin." They start into the building.