Chapter One

"Hurry up!" my dad shouted at my mom. "We do not have much longer!"

"I am hurrying as fast as I can, Frank!" my mom yelled as she picked up a couple of boxes and carried them to the car.

"We need to get out of here before it is too late!"

I looked out the window, seeing my parents arguing with each other. I was sitting in the backseat next to my twin brother, who was hugging himself and shaking.

"I-I am scared, sis," Hansel choked out.

"I know," I told him, pulling him close to me.

We were both concerned about our parents. Why were we moving out of the house that we just moved in last week? I kept asking my parents, but they would not give me an answer.

"Gretel, I do not want to leave Forlot," my brother spoke. "I love our house. It was better than our old one. And we already made such good friends."

"So do I, but Mom and Dad said that we have to leave here and never come back."

"But why?"

I shrugged. "I do not know."

My mom suddenly hopped into the passenger's seat and turned to us. "Your dad is almost done putting the boxes in the trunk," she said. "And then, we will be out of this nightmare of a town once and for all."

"Mom, please tell us," I pleaded. "Why are we leaving? The house does not cost so much, even though that it is a really big house. Also, Hansel and I are making so many friends."

"You need to trust us, honey. We are doing this for the safeties of you and your brother."

I was starting to feel a bit frustrated. "Why, Mom?! Tell us! We are going to know sooner or later!"

"Hmm. Perhaps when you are older. You two would not believe us if we told you."

"What?! What could it be?!"

I heard the trunk door being slammed, and my dad got into the driver's seat and immediately started the car. "Do we have everything?" he asked us.

"Wait!" Hansel cried. "I forgot my doll!"

Yep, you heard it here, folks. My brother owns a doll. But not just any doll. The doll that my grandma, Rita, gave to Hansel before she passed away. He treasures that doll, and I do not blame him for doing so. We both miss our grandmother very much.

"No time!" my dad exclaimed. "Sorry, Son. You can always get another doll."

"But Grandma gave me that! We have to find it!"

"Sorry, kiddo." We began pulling out of the driveway, and Hansel burst out crying.

"Honey, do not cry," my mom said as she tried to calm him down.

I looked at the house, and my face saddened. Oh, how I was going to miss this house. It was a nice house. Why were we leaving such a wonderful town?

And then I noticed something.

Something out of the ordinary.

I saw bright green eyes staring at me from the front door that was wide open and gasped as I saw a creature that I had never seen before appear into the light.

What was he holding?

A doll. My brother's doll.

The creature smiled evilly at me, and then went back into the house and closed the door behind him.

I suddenly became speechless. I could not believe what I had just seen. After trying to process what I had witnessed, I finally spoke up. "Dad, why are we really leaving?"

He hesitated before replying back to me. "Because we are."

I looked down. That was always his answer whenever I asked him that question.

But I knew the real answer.

We were leaving because of the creature.