Chapter 13

"So, how long have you... been with Bella?" Edward started the conversation, that was about to become a questionnaire, with this simple question.

Jade hesitated a little before answering his question. She didn't know what Bella would want Edward to know and what she wouldn't. "A while. I found her a little less than a century ago, she was 20 years old," she decided to answer.

They had followed the scent till they had reached the woods. They weren't running, because they weren't exactly chasing after these vampires. They were just trying to find them, so that they could reason with them.

"Were you the one who made her into a vampire?" he asked another question.

Jade snorted at that, but somehow she managed to make it sound attractive. Vampire talent. "I thought the answer to that is obvious, of course I made her into a vampire. Who else?"

"Well, I thought maybe you had found her like that. As a vampire, I mean." He tried to say it as subtly as he could.

Jade didn't say anything in reply. She just glanced at him.

Damn it, it didn't work. Edward decided to ask another question. "Are the two of you close?"

"You can say that, yeah." Jade thought about the question for a moment before adding, "Bella... Bella's my best friend. I don't know if she knows it but, I have never had anyone as close to me as she is. I never want to lose her."

If I could cry, my eyes would definitely be filled with tears right now. Jade thought to herself. Edward could read her thoughts, so he managed to get a sense that Jade really did treasure Bella, she wasn't lying about that.

He wasn't sure about one thing though.....

"Are you, like, you know, um, lesbian?"

Jade stared at him for a while, making Edward feel oddly uncomfortable, before she started laughing her ass off. She was laughing so hard that she actually had to stop in her tracks.

"No, you goof, I'm not a freaking lesbian. So no, you don't have to worry about me stealing Bella away from you or anything. I'm not a threat. God, a lesbian." She gave a small laugh at that incredulous thought.

"This has got nothing to do with-" Edward began, before Jade interrupted him. "Oh save it, lover boy, I can see it in your eyes. You're gaga for her." She rolled her eyes.

Edward started thinking about how if he was human, he would have been blushing profusely by now. He decided to change the subject.

"How long have you been a vampire?"

Jade rolled her eyes, something she seemed to be doing a lot, at his obvious and weak attempt at changing the subject. "Close to 400 years, I guess. What about you?"

"A couple of centuries." He gave a short reply. "400 years, huh, that's a long time. Who changed you?"

Suddenly, a face flashed into Jade's mind. A boy, who looked only a few years older than her physical age. She warded the thought off as quick as it came, but not quick enough for Edward to not be able to catch it. "I don't really remember. It has been such a long time, he didn't stick around much after I turned and my human memory is really foggy so, I can't remember."

She was lying, Edward could tell. Her thought of the boy was vividly clear and she had thought of him fondly, but she didn't seem like she was going to tell him the truth anytime soon. This was a personal matter for Jade, so he decided to let it go.

"What's the reason, for your change?" Edward asked before he could stop himself. What? He was curious. Ugh, you're so stupid. Can't you let something go for once? he thought to himself.

"Okay, enough questions about me, now it's my turn to be on the other side of this Q and A. Why were you changed?"

"I was sick. I had some sort of disease, I was close to death. Carlisle was a doctor there, so he changed me. To save my life."

"You can do that? Isn't it cheating, if you can't save someone's life from a medical illness, and you just use your vampire abilities to turn them?"

"I guess you could say that. But during my time there, he had grown attached to me. I had grown onto him, he wanted me to live."

Jade nodded at that.

"Can I ask you another question?" asked Edward.

She sighed. "Fine, but make it interesting."

"What colour eyes did you have, before you turned?"

Jade gave him a surprised look, she obviously wasn't expecting such a random question like this. She had thought he would ask her something about her human life, or how she became a vampire, or Bella. "Blue," she answered simply.

"Mine were green."

They walked a little further in silence, before Jade broke it.

"Oh c'mon, I know you're bursting to ask me about Bella. So shoot, ask me whatever you want. I can give you all the details." She shoved friendly with her shoulder. She was starting to warm up to him, but she was still wary around him. Jade had always had trust issues, ever since she was a human.

Edward gave her a sheepish smile before continuing with his questions. "Why did you change Bella into a vampire?"

Jade gave an exasperated sigh at that. "Can't you ask normal questions about a girl, like other high school boys? Why can't you just ask about her favourite colour? Or a hobby? Or... I don't know, her favourite place or something!"

Because I already know most of that stuff. Edward thought to himself.

He decided to confront her about why she wasn't willing to answer his question. "Why can't you just tell me why she had to be changed? I don't think you would be the sort of vampire who would go around turning random people into vampires, there must be a reason."

"That's not something I want to go into, and I'm pretty sure Bella would want you to mind your own business as well."

"But-" Edward's protest was cut by a sudden, loud snarl which clearly belonged to someone familiar. Jade's head snapped up. They looked at each other and starting running towards the noise.

Rosalie.

A/N: What do you think about Jade after this chapter? Yay or nay? Also, thanks for 29.5k reads!