15 ~ Just Hours Away

H

~

Lance hadn't known he'd blackened out until he was opening his glued shut eyes. His pupils constricted, adjusting to the sudden blinding light of wherever he was.

It was the purple hue that settled in first. Just purple. And for a second he guessed he was somewhere red, a cyan colour obscuring his view in contrast to the constant red of his eyelids. But as the white light faded, purple became more dominant, and it was no longer a mix of red and cyan. Different shades of purple and splatters of blacks flooded in.

He double blinked, taking in his surroundings from an odd side view before he realized he lay on a cold, black metal. He lifted himself from his position on the ground, sitting up and having a better look around.

He was in a cell. A small room, about 6ft by 6ft, with tall purple walls, stretching about 10 feet above him. Black bars with a metal similar tungsten, reaching to meet another purple wall hallway. There was no ceiling, just one, large light source which felt like you were looking at the sun. The hallway outside was lit dimly with purple lights, yet the blinding, white light from the cells illuminated it.

Sound returned last. At first it was a ring. A deafening sound like the flat-line of a heart rate monitor. Then he heard the hum of the ship. The never silent sound of technology whizzing. He heard many little things. The light tapping of a nail on the metal bars, scraping on the floor, foot shuffling, scratching into a wall, and the soft whispers of insanity.

He somehow found the motivation to get on his two feet, yet immediately fell over due to the lack of blood flowing to them. After a few seconds, he finally gained balance and took a step forward.

He was planted on the ground again.

But this time it wasn't his lack of balance which sent him flying to the floor, it was the shaking of the ship.

One second he thought he was on a bus traveling over a speed bump, next second he thought they were being attacked. The third second he heard a loud thunk and the ship shook again, and he realized something must've attacked, whether the ship or-

Something else?

Lance shook in his cell. No. No. No.

Lance was pacing. Back and forth. Back and forth.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

A cell opened up and an alien walked warily down the aisle, accompanied by guards.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

The brim of his clothing was pulled down low. Him and the Galra guards found themselves out of Lances sight, out of earshot.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

The only sound now was the sound of his feet.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Suddenly, a quiet sound of guns clicked into place.

Lance held his breath.

Bang.

~~~

"Keith!" Shiro tried. Keith had refused to leave the cave without Lance. When they finally dragged his ass out of the cave he refused to speak the whole ride back to the base, and when they finally dragged his ass into the base, he immediately stomped off to the training deck in which he brutally over-killed the poor simulation robots.

"Keith! You can't stay in here forever!"

"Have you found Lance?" Keith turn, eyes glaring into his own like the pits death, and were slightly glowing?

Shiro's silence seemed to answer his question.

Keith nodded, before stabbing his blade through the center of the last simulator bot they held in the base.

"Staying in here isn't helping find him any faster."

Keith turned to face Shiro, eyes softening slightly, yet his jaw only tightened.

"You're right. I should be out looking for Lance!" Keith exclaimed, returning his sword into a short blade and storming out of the temporary training deck.

"Keith! That's not what I- you know that's not what I meant!" Shiro called after him, slightly jogging to catch up with him.

"Regardless. Sitting around isn't doing anything, we have to-"

"Pidge, Coran and Allura are searching. They're trying to pick up talk about a Paladin capture."

"Well, that's what they're doing. We could help by searching outside!" Keith argued.

"Keith, no! All that's doing is causing extra stress! As much as you hate it, we have to stay put."

"But Lance-"

"Can survive a few hours. We're all worried for him. But he's not dead. The lions would say something."

"They didn't say anything about you." Keith mumbled, turning his eyes away from Shiro.

Shiro sighed. No use fighting Keith when he was being stubborn. "Go find something to do in the meantime. We'll call you when we need you."

And with that, Keith was barreling ahead, turning unfamiliar corners until he ended up letting his body take him somewhere.

He opened his eyes.

Lance's room.

~~~

Lance felt like an animal ready for slaughter.

The gun shots sent shudders through his body with every alien walked up for their inevitable death. What was the point in staying chained up if they were going to die anyway. The Galra aren't heartless. If they keep someone held captive it was for a reason.

Right?

~~~

Keith didn't know why he was in Lance's room. It wasn't a place he found himself often.

But he couldn't help but feel a little happy, so he took a step into the room and settled on the bed.

He found himself wake to the sound of Pidge running down the hallway. "Keith! Wherever you are we found Lance!"

And Keith jumped up, brain still sleep fogged from the unintended nap, and found himself running down the castle.

~~~

Lance heard explosions, and he couldn't help the hopeful expression that graced his face. Galran Soldiers ran down the aisle he'd seen many aliens walk up to meet their demise.

It wasn't long before he heard familiar voices, and he stood from the cold floor.

The first person to open the door was Keith, and Lance ran straight into his arms.

They hugged for what felt like years, which in reality was a few minutes, before they heard a cough from behind them.

Lance would think about it later, but right then, in Keith's arms, he felt safer than ever before. And he couldn't remember another time he felt that way.

~

Lol this story has gotten so sloppy omg. Sorry for the rushed ending, that must've been so disappointing after the long wait.

I am so sorry I haven't updated in so long. I really have no excuse other than I haven't had time. I promise I will try to update more, but i can't say how long. Just hold on for me? :)