On Edge

The airlock doors opened-slowly.
The creature shot a quick look at the door and backed off from the woman, its eyes now fixated on me.
It charged at me, snarling.

I was now under it, its body pushing against mine- trying to crush every single bone in my body. Gun still in hand, I swung it at its head and struck. My hand sunk into its head- laced with slimy liquid and warm flesh.
It didn't budge.
Its mouth came closer- until it was barely inches away.

My life flashed in front of me, I regretted every single decision that had led up to this moment: Breaking in here and not just letting the woman- who was now unconscious in the far side of the room die.

In one final burst, I jammed my gun into its head and pulled the trigger- splattering my face with a thick liquid as its head blew open with each of the 4 shots I shot into its head.
It went limp, as if it was dead. I knew it wasn't.
Pushing its body aside, I approached the woman who lay motionless with her eyes open now.

She jumped when she saw me:
"Don't hurt me."
"I won't" I responded, surprised that she could still speak properly.

I pulled open the web that covered the person next to her.
"They're all dead." she said, with the air of a person shaken beyond comprehension.
"Huh?"
"They're dead."

I wanted to be sure, so I freed two others- finding nothing but decaying  corpses under the rubbery, white material.

The fourth pod contained another woman- around the same age as the first, only she was still unconscious.

I heard something stir behind me.

Just as I had expected, it wasn't dead.

Carrying the unconscious woman, I sprinted out the room and slammed the metal door behind us.
The three of us came out unhurt- physically at least.

"Kate"- as I knew her managed to wake her friend Angela after we'd got to my van.

Apparently, these assholes had taken both of them and left them there to die.

After we were done telling our stories and how we'd gotten there, I turned on the ignition to the van- which was thankfully a few meters away from the asylum and was about to drive away with Kate and her friend when I saw what looked like a military convoy approaching the asylum.

"Shit." I'd said what all three of us were thinking.
~~~