Taken

~~~

(Angela's POV)

I was discharged from the hospital a week after the car crash, feeling slightly safer.

I didn't see it after the last time and I'd slowly let myself rest in the idea that it probably wasn't going to return.

I needed to focus on getting my friend back.

I knew for a fact that both of our apartments weren't safe and they were probably waiting for me to pull up on the driveway so they could take me out too.

I'd tried to call Kate during the long week in the hospital, no answer.

I got into a taxi after getting out of the hospital, feeling free- free from the confines of the hospital bed and the white walls surrounding, suffocating me.

I got out 10 minutes later, infront of me stood my parent's house, I decided that I had to stay here until the whole situation died down. The familiar cul-de-sac brought memories long forgotten, memories of pedaling down the streets- unmarred by conflict or apprehension. Memories of the warm wind pushing me down the little hill we used to camp on towards the far side of our tight knit community.

How I was grounded for Halloween once when I was 9 and spent the night looking out of my window, eyes filled to the brim with envy- watching all my friends outside the glass yet not being able to hear or talk to them.

That's what I felt now, too. Helpless. Knowing what happened to my friend yet not being able to save her.

I stood there for minutes, under the dying golden of the tree that'd always been there as far as I remembered.

I still had work,  My boss didn't fire me- surprisingly but now I'd ran out of my paid vacation. Great.

To keep my job, I went to work the next day and had to do overtime for all the work I'd missed, I really should've just stayed at home.

I drove my rental home that night, oblivious of what was about to happen a split second later.

Gunshots.

They shot one of my tires and sent me careening down the highway.

Then they got to me.

They took me too.

~~~