Time Out

He could tell, by the tone of his voice and the way his normally mischievous eyes darkened by the minute, that Bek was at the end of his rope. Zaya was trying her hardest to calm him down whilst at the same moment not allow the words being spoken get to her, but even her seemingly unending patience was beginning to ware thin. 

But the high strung upper-class merchant just wouldn’t stop, even if he knew that he could be offending the advisers in such a way. He just didn't seem to care. 

"And all those little urchins should be forced into labor, they are nothing but trouble when they are on their own."

Even Hathor was watching the two young advisers on the other end of the table, almost as if waiting to see whose temper would spill over first. 

"Send the young ones to the mines, out from under foot."

Bek took a deep breath, sitting back in his seat.

"Let them earn their keep, work for the right of their lives."

Zaya's fists tightened in her lap. 

"They were born rats, live as rats, and will be mourned by no one but the fleas they carry."

Both advisers unknowingly being watched by the two gods at the head of the table, glanced at one another sharply. 

"They need to know their place."

Zaya gasped as Bek slammed a hand down on the table, pushing his chair back loudly. His gaze was hard as he glared at the outspoken noble, but lightened considerably when he turned back to the gods, to Horus. 

"I'm sorry, My Lord, may we be dismissed?"

Horus felt bad about doing so, but he shook his head 'no'. Bek nodded harshly but refused to sit back down, despite Zaya's urgings. 

"It would keep them from reaching for places they are not to be reaching for, keeps them where they belong."

His eyes portrayed to whom he was speaking the last part to. Bek was still, barely looked as if he was breathing he was so still, his eyes boring into the large man on the other end, five chairs down from him. He knew he had hit a nerve with that one. 

"Is that so?"

Zaya watched her Love as he made to take a step forward, his fingers discreetly feeling at the knife he kept at his side. 

"And shall you be shown your place?"

Horus watched them silently for a moment, his eyes tracking the minute movements his young friend was making, and when his grip on the knife tightened did he intervene. Everyone turned towards him as the Lord of the Air stood from his chair, leaned over the table, and snatched the youth up by the back of his shirt. 

The young thief let out a sound of alarm as his feet left the floor and he was pulled backwards into the air. Horus pulled him back with him as he made to sit back down in his seat. While Hathor agreed with his thinking, she did not agree with his way of enacting his thoughts. 

"Zaya, why don't you come sit down here with us as well, it is your place as the Queen's right hand."

The young Lady nodded silently, missing the pointed look the goddess shot the man on the other side of her. The man sneered at the way they interacted with one another. As Horus joked with the adviser he held in the air. And as the Queen folded her hand over the girl's next to her. 

"Horus put me down."

The god spared him a glance, "Are you still thinking of ways to stick your knife in the uppity noble six chairs down from us."

"No."

"Bek."

The thief shrugged as best he could suspended in the air, "It's a possibility."

"Then, you, My friend, are not going anywhere."

Bek crossed his arms, glaring at the man six chairs down, Horus couldn't keep him here forever.

He'd have to be put down eventually. 

Horus chuckled under his breath at the look the young adviser was shooting towards the man. But relented in setting the thief down on the arm of his chair. 

"Adofo, please remember to watch your tone."

The man bowed before his king, "I am sorry, My Lord, I will remember to My Lord."

"See that you do."

Hathor dismissed herself and Zaya in one word. Horus nodded his approval as he watched the two take their leave. 

"I think we are done here."

The other advisers nodded as they too stood to take their leave. Sparing a look at his closest friend, Horus place him back on the floor once more, standing from his own seat. Bek watched him closely as he shifted forms. 

"I'll give you a five second head start."

Bek raised an eyebrow, "What?"

"Now it's three."

The Lord of the Air laughed as the boys eyes widened and he turned tail. A moment later he made chase. 

Everytime.