Epilogue

Just over three miles from where Binny Jordan was looking at an almost seventy-year-old notebook, a small room was lit only by a grainy series of images on a large computer screen.

For weeks now, almost every evening, and sometimes late into the night, those images played over and over again on the display. A hand rested on a raised circular control in front of the screen. When the hand twisted the dial to the left, the images on the screen played quickly in reverse. When the hand let the dial rest at center, the images went forward at a normal speed. This pattern had been repeated hundreds of times and would be repeated hundreds more.

The black and white images were clearly shot from above. They may have been grainy but showed one thing with unmistakable clarity – a little girl standing up and walking towards a large mirror on the side of a small room. After a few more seconds, the little girl on the screen would start to flicker. Sometimes the little girl was visible in the image. Sometimes she was not. And often she hovered somewhere in between – partially transparent. 

Inevitably the video would get to the part where another party entered the room and the flickering would stop. At that point the hand would twist the dial to the left, and the little girl would begin to flicker all over again.