1

Some nights are not meant for sleeping; some nights are meant for binge watching.

And tonight, it's the latter.

It's already way past any normal person's bedtime, but there you were, laid on your bed with your eyes glued to the television.

While the moon shone down brightly at the peaceful streets, your television's bright screen shone down on you.

Like every healthy woman in her younger years, you're laid on your cozy bed as you binge-watch the newest K-drama.

Kdrama over sleep—yup! Totally healthy.

Don't judge! If that's how people wanna live their life, then so be it. And for you, that's how you wanna do it.

You really enjoy K-dramas; how it would make you all giggly and mushy at how romantic it is or how it makes you weep because of how heart-wrenching some scenes are. There's always a roller coaster ride of emotions when watching dramas, and you enjoyed every bit of it.

However, watching it in the middle of the night is never always a great idea.

For starters, it is addicting; resulting in lack of sleep. It messes up with your body clock as you constantly convince yourself it's the "last episode" before finally going to sleep—which never really happens cause you always end up saying that for at least 5 more times before your body's the one convincing you to give up and rest already.

Second, you'd end up being hungry. Most Korean dramas showcase various Korean food: from Samgyeopsal to Tteokbokki to triangle Gimbap to instant ramen. Sure, it's one way, a great way even, to promote the country; but poor you who's watching at night, you end up craving for food you prolly don't have access to since the stores or restaurants are already closed—convenience stores and pojangmacha are probably still open, but your lazy ass wouldn't want to go out anymore cause let's face it, that's too much work.

Hearing your stomach grumble for the nth time, you finally decided to get yourself some snacks downstairs. You clicked pause as you lift your fluffy blanket from your body. It was already late so you assumed your parents were already asleep, but as soon as you walked out of your room, you were greeted with lights all throughout the house. Seeing that the house was still very much awake, you already knew your parents were still chilling downstairs.

Oh, they're probably drinking wine, you thought since that's what they always do every chance they get, it's sort of their way of unwinding.

Not to be nosy but while walking down the stairs, you overheard what your parents were talking about.

"So how do we tell Y/N?", your dad asked.

You could not help but butt in cause you heard your name. "Tell me what?", you queried, startling your parents with your sudden presence. Both of them glanced at the staircase, where you were at, at the same time.

"Oh, you're still up? I thought you were already asleep.", your mom said. You explained you felt a bit hungry while watching that's why you're getting food.

"Ok, go get food 1st and then come sit with us. We have something important to tell you", your dad stated. You nodded and went straight to the pantry to go get yourself some chips. As soon as you've gotten the chips, you hurriedly went back to your parents because you knew something was up with the tone of your dad's voice. Your parents were discussing something when you got back to the living room so you gently took the seat in front of them.

After they were done talking, you decided to speak up. "Ok mom, dad, what's going on? Is there a problem?", you asked while munching on the junk food.

"So it's about our business--", your mom started with a serious tone but was cut off with your sudden outburst.

"OMG, are we going bankrupt???", you asked in a panicking tone, almost choking with what you're eating. You couldn't help but worry because you knew how important your business is to your parents, so losing it would really break them.

However, the response you got back was not what you were expecting as both of your parents just let out a chuckle while looking at each other.

"No, silly! That's not gonna happen, I mean not anytime soon", you dad finally spoke. "In fact, the reason why we wanted to talk to you was that we wanted to tell you that we're expanding our business in the US", your dad continued.

You felt relief wash over you, and soon happiness filled you with that good news. You were even jumping up and down like a little kid because of it. "Oh wow! Congratulation, mom, dad", you said while giving them a hug. "We should celebrate! We should-- oh wait, so why did you sound so serious when you told me you were telling me something then? I mean, shouldn't you two be happy?"

"We are happy, dear, but that's not all", you dad answered. "You see, since we're expanding, we have to stay in the US indefinitely. You know how hands-on we are, so we have to be there to overlook everything. And we are not quite sure how long it's gonna take for everything to be settled".

"So now we're letting you choose", you mom added. You furrowed your eyebrows, not quite getting what she meant by that so you just nodded, a signal for her to continue. "Do you wanna come with us or do you wanna stay here? If you decide to come, you'd have to prepare ASAP cause we're leaving next week. But if you're not coming, then it's fine with us. Although, if you stay here, you'd be left alone all by yourself".

After giving it a quick thought, your "yay, freedom!" thoughts were dominating all the others. Your parents are not really the strict type so the word 'freedom' was kinda too much to describe the whole thing, but living all by yourself for some time has always been one of the things listed on your bucket list. So, this was a dream come true for you.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to stay", you told them before making up an excuse (like telling them how you love Korean food so much that you wouldn't be able to survive America because Korean food there isn't the same as the ones made here), so they wouldn't feel bad about not choosing to go with them.

"Ok then, but come visit us if you suddenly change your mind or if you get bored here", your dad said. You nodded while giving them a big smile.

You chatted with your parents (while eating) until you all finally decided to go to bed. You kissed them goodnight before entering your room. Once you laid down, you immediately fell asleep.

After 1 week

"Goodbye, sweetie! Take care, ok? Update us all the time and message us if you have any problems", your mom said while your dad put their luggage in the trunk.

"Yes mom, I will. I'll miss you both.", you answered while giving each of them a tight hug.

"We'll miss you, too, darling. Be good.", your dad uttered before entering the car.

You waved them goodbye as you watched the car leave. After seeing the vehicle turn right at the end of the street, you went back inside the house. While locking the door, you felt a little nervous.

Reality finally hit you.

However, your nervousness soon overcame with happiness. Finally realizing that you're ticking off one box from your bucket list.

"I'm finally getting a taste of freedom! What do I do first?"

Italicized words are either Y/N's thoughts or used for emphasis

Give me some love! Comment and vote!
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜