The Obscurio and Illumio were already in his possession. The Spear of Fire, belonging to House Doragon and their fire queen, resided with his allies.

That only left two more artifacts to collect.

It was the only bright light in Makaela's dark mind.

The Order of the Black Lotus' next order of business surely was to obtain the pendant from House Oseda, the woodland magicians. It was the only house that hadn't either fallen to Thorian's power or allied with him. But Thorian had a plan to get them to submit.

And Makaela fully intended to help him.

Her past allegiances were gone now. Those bridges had burned in the fire that decimated the city of Thania. Her old friends were enemies now. She often fantasized about the different ways she would kill them—especially Siren Lombardi. She was the cause of her pain and distress.

Makaela couldn't wait to kill her. She would make it slow, inflicting the same amount of agony that was done to her. She would remove pieces of the girl just as how a piece of herself was taken.

But that would have to wait.

Soon, it would be time to fight again. The war that the Prophecy of Eight—the ancient premonition telling of the future of the magic community and the world they lived in—was already upon them. Death and despair lingered above the horizon like a black sun. Blood had already been spilled. It wouldn't take long until more followed.

A knock sounded on Makaela's door. Rolling her eyes, she yelled for them to go away. The person simply knocked again.

"Leave me alone!" Makaela bellowed. She snatched up a pillow and hurled it at the door.

The lock on the door began to turn. Traces of a spell could be seen around her doorknob. Sneering, she turned away from the girl who had just entered her bedroom.

"What do you want?" She shielded her eyes from the harsh light from the hallway pouring into her shadow-filled room.

Amora Thauvin, daughter of Thorian, stood underneath the doorframe with an unimpressed look on her pale face. Her wavy hair the color of midnight fell down her shoulders. She donned her black Shade robes, causing Makaela to raise an eyebrow.

"You're pathetic," she said while looking around the messy room. She kicked a pair of stray underwear across the room. "Like seriously pathetic."

"Fuck you, Amora."

"I would if you'd let me," the girl joked.

Makaela scoffed. Turning around, she glared at her. "What do you want?"

"My father has called a meeting," Amora revealed. "He wants us downstairs in thirty minutes. I suggest you take a shower. You reek."

Makaela scowled. She discreetly took a whiff of her underarms and nearly gagged.

She might have a point, she told herself.

"Noted." She narrowed her gaze at Amora, who was still standing in the doorway. "You can go now."

Amora didn't move. Her dark stare had softened a bit. A weary expression covered her sharp features. Makaela shifted uncomfortably on her bed. Her heart skipped a few beats in anticipation.

"Look," she began, "I know this whole thing is hard for you and whatever, with losing your demon and all. I'd probably be in shambles if that happened to me too. But you've got to get your shit together, you hear me? We don't have any time for you to be moping around and feeling sorry for yourself. You were a good caster before your Nightling, and you'll be an even better one without it."