Chapter 32: Fallen from Grace

Opening the heavy metal door Henry led his team into the stairwell. Robert followed behind wondered why Julia would have gone to the rooftop. Nothing about Julia's disappearance seemed to make sense to either man. Silence in the stairwell heightened the tensions lingering in the air. Ascending the steps Robert looked to Henry with a question burning in his eyes.

"Why would Julia go the rooftop without telling anyone?" Doubts surfaced in Henry's mind from the question posed to him. Julia never tried anything like this before. Ever since the attack nothing had been normal. Charisma could have allowed George to persuade Julia to follow him. Looking back Henry could see the same worry he felt on Roberts face.

"You know Julia always has been rebellious. Don't worry yourself Robert I am sure my daughter will be fine." Trying to convince Robert masked the fathers' attempt to convince himself. Sound of marching footsteps echoed in the stairwell. Glancing at the wrist watch Henry could see it was ten to midnight.

"We've got a ways to go. Let's hurry people." Henry pushed the soldiers forward feeling his stomach churning with worry. Hearing the noise Robert could sense the anxiety emanating from Julia's father. Cold wind rushed down the stairwell from the rooftop door. Feeling the draft both men looked up towards the roof

"I hope you and your team knows you're digging your own graves." King George stared down the barrel of the gun pointed at his head. Several figures materialized across the rooftop aiming their guns at the King. George gritted his teeth still holding the door open. The man holding Julia could see anger seething from George's grimace.

"Perhaps you should be a little more worried about your own safety. Julia is coming with us, but whether you leave this rooftop alive is your choice." George could see fear in the emerald green eyes of the young woman. Unable to speak Julia could only watch and listen to the exchange. Some force prevented George from running.

"You have ten seconds to run or I will kill you." Cybernetic hearing amplified noise allowing the assailant to hear the footsteps in the stairwell. George glanced between Julia and the door. Thoughts churned inside the young kings' mind. Seconds ticked away. Nothing could force George to abandon Julia.

"You are making a grave mistake." Time compelled George to make a decision. The assailant admired the king's determination. George could see the man's finger twitching against the trigger. Horror prevented Julia from looking away from the scene. The assailant could see the resolve in George's eyes. Jumping to life the pistol expelled a thunderous roar spewing fire and metal. A bullet grazed by the King's face slamming into the wall spraying chips of stone in every direction.

George panicked diving into the stairwell away from the gunfire. Knowing the king managed to escape gave Julia some respite from the torment of her emotions. Taking control of Julia's muscles the assailant forced her to follow. Wind caused the heavy door to slam shut. Leaping up George raced down the stairway. Julia unable to move or speak couldn't resist the assailant compelling her to follow him.

"Anyone else got communications with the rest of the team?" Marching up the stairs Henry tried to communicate with the Major. Security personnel looked at each other discovering that communications were not functioning. Robert could sense the worry emanating from the soldiers. Sudden gunfire echoed down the stairwell. Terror shot through the stairwell compelling everyone to race toward the rooftop. Robert looked to Henry for answers.

"Where is that gunfire coming from?" Henry's anxiety escalated to terror when he realized the gunshots were coming from the roof.

"We have to get to that rooftop now!" Bolting up the stairs Henry felt fear pumping through his veins. Racing behind Robert tried to keep pace with the muse troops. Henry felt a strange mix of hope and terror propelling each footstep. Only the thought of Julia's safety remained in the father's mind. Trailing behind neither Robert nor Muse security could see Henry anymore.