Chapter 2: Aftershock

Silence lingered in the hallways of the upper New York prep school. The Masters Preparation School ranked number one in the world for education. The cybertechnology boom had hit New York culture with the force of a tsunami. Sweeping changes washed away the old world leaving only the glistening new technology in its wake. The Williams family called New York City and state home. Wealth and influence that poured from the most powerful family in the free world led to the creation of renowned think tanks and academies.

Muse Industries intellectual power changed everything it touched like the mythological Midas. The Williams family were as close as you could come to American royalty. Powerful, rich, and successful people flocked to the locations the Williams spent time. The Masters prep school held the attendance of the world's brightest and best young minds. Shocking events of the day left the students horrified. Fear cast a cloak of silence throughout the school halls. Everyone feared how the only daughter of the most powerful man in the world would react to the news of the attack in Beijing.

Julia family status earned her a degree of respect from the other children. Striding down the hallway eyes darted away from the young woman as she passed her fellow students. Wearing the finest clothes in the school torn to shred, smeared makeup, and any other audacious behaviour that would draw attention from the crowd. Most students avoided eye contact and some even emulated their icon.

Each article of clothing had been carefully selected. The clothes echoed the angst filled teens mind opinions. Adorn in cheap jewellery was a statement against the distribution of wealth. Tearing the expensive clothing showed the poor students what they wore didn't define them. Henry instilled his daughter with a sense of confidence and pride. Julia wasted no opportunity to either speak or state an opinion. Growing up in the Williams family meant a lengthy education at a young age in the art of public relations.

Julia's hair styled into a mess of tangles perfectly shaped as a representation of the fierce mind that lurked beneath. The mess looked untamed and wild echoing of confidence. Unlike most teenagers Julia used the attention she got to promote universal ideals her family raised her to embrace. Passion lurked just underneath the skin burning bright and hot as the sun. Henry and Victoria taught their daughter everyone is responsible to help make the world a better place with what power they have.

Parents try to instil values in their children. Julia had a natural passion for what her parents taught her. Passion for a better world burned in young woman's heart and swirled in her eyes for all to see and feel. Julia stood out as an out spoken advocate against the ravages of bullying in the school and corporate society, raising funds for books for the poorer students on social assistance programs, and to her mother's great pleasure the best debater in the nation.

Rebellion and defiance were natural to Julia. The young woman's streak for social rebellion left a bad taste in most adults. Psychiatrists tried to diagnose Julia with oppositional defiance disorder. The diagnosis sparked an essay from the brilliant young mind that shocked the world. With great charisma and intelligence the essay central argument defined defiance as the very breath of liberty, and the only true source of freedom.

"Children do not rebel because it is fun, but because every child has the right to define themselves how they choose. It is the soul's instinct to create individuality. Self-determination is the very breath of liberty. Without art and creativity people become slaves. Do children not possess the right to choose their future and be judged on our actions not our personal tastes?"

The line was gobbled up by the media and projected worldwide within hours. Julia felt no fear of reprisal and some of her antics teetered on the edge of violence. Organizing student strikes against illegal rules and regulations pushed the administrators and staff to condemn some actions. School board held hearings to discuss the young woman's expulsion. When brought before the school board Julia presented her argument.