Chapter 11: Post-Traumatic Stress

Start from the beginning

Disembarking first Maj. Lee led the security team off the shuttle in single file. Following the security team Henry helped his wife and daughter off the shuttle. Muse Security forces escorted the William's family down the winding path towards their home. No sanctuary existed for the rich and powerful. The idyllic home rested in the gated community that resembled a military base rather than a luxurious home. Creating a perimeter around the family Muse security remained Vigilant.

Home sweet home was an idea lost on a man of such power and influence as Henry Williams. Restoring the ancient French renaissance mansion turned the home into a palace fit for a king. Underneath the house rested an underground complex with facilities to house a legion of troops. Hidden from plain sight were all kinds of measures to ensure the protection of the Williams family. Henry took no chances with the safety of his family.

Marching forward at a brisk pace Cpt. Anderson opened the door for the approaching family. Max noticed the look of worry concealed in the families faces. Both parents wore a sombre look on their faces. Julia's face haunted max the most. Exhaustion lined the features of the young woman's face. People described Julia as a radiant ball of energy and passion, but Max seen a broken shell of the girl he remembered.

"Welcome home." Max smiled at the family walking into their home. Julia broke away from her parents upon entered the home. Henry and Victoria watched their daughter in a moment of silent empathy. No one knew how to help Julia deal with what had happened. Henry and Victoria knew the best way to help their daughter was to offer unconditional love and support.

"I am going to go lie down" Julia turned and offered a forced smile.

"Ok honey, but remember the Cross family is coming tomorrow for Christmas Eve dinner." Victoria intended to keep her daughter focused on what needed to be done. Distraction would prevent any slip into deep apathy or guilt. Julia dreaded the thought knowing it had to be done. Reputation is everything in life. The words almost echoed in Julia's mind.

"I'll be fine I just need to get some sleep and wrap dad's present." Julia walked up the stairs attending to how her parents would be studying her behavior. Walking speed, body language, and facial expression could all reveal the truth hidden beneath the surface of flesh. Focusing on walking steady and poised Julia headed towards her room trying to push thoughts away. Raging emotions tore under the skin threatened to break through the mental dam of willpower.

Julia never lied to her parents, but in this situation there was nothing anyone could do. Walking down the hallway to the bedroom each step caused another crack in the emotional dam. Nerves trembling from memories flooding Julia's mind filling her with anxiety. Gunfire and explosions rang out seeming real in the mind. Flashes of people lying on the floor snapped in Julia's vision.

Each step required more concentration sapping mental strength. Reaching out Julia pressed the button to open her bedroom door with hesitation. Sliding open the door revealed a pit of darkness. Staring into the pit of darkness Julia felt her emotions surging with uncertainty. Automated sensors detected movement causing lights flash to life. Memories of disorientation flooded Julia's mind in response to the sudden flash of lights.

Familiar surroundings distorted in a mist of confusion seizing the woman for a moment. Struggling to contain the confusion Julia lingered at the entrance to her room. Memories of blood dripping to the floor echoed through the senses with the force of reality. Julia bolted into the room closing the door behind her. Rapid deep breathes echoed in the empty room. Leaning back against the door Julia slid to the floor gasping for breath.

Blood retreated away from the skin leaving it pale. Julia's incredible facade came crashing down with the force of a tumbling skyscraper. Vision blurred blending memory into reality. Malicious laughter rang in Julia's ears. Tears dripped to the floor accompanied by soft sobs. Gunshots rang out tearing through the black mask in Julia's looping memories.