Chapter 3: Aggressive Negotiations

Start from the beginning

"This crash isn't an accident. The people who shot us down are much closer than any rescue unit. If you value your life I would recommend you do exactly what I tell you when I tell you." The upper area of the slums echoed with the sound of Cantonese. Henry looked up attuning his cybernetic hearing implants to try to understand what was being said.

Several soldiers in Chinese army uniform appeared on the upper layer of the slums. Looking down from the vantage point the soldiers spotted the survivors. Shouting orders in Cantonese the soldiers pointed down at the group. Noticing the people wielding fully automatic gun caused civilian employees to start screaming in terror. Captain Anderson watched Charlie the heavy weapons expert attempting to open the grate with a cutting torch.

"No time we have to move now!" Barking the order Max drew his custom pistol taking aim at the lock. Several shots later the lock sparked and hissed. Metal creaked being pulled by Charlie ripping open the grate.

"Get into the tunnels now!" Henry's order provoked instant response. Civilian's flooded towards the open grate. Security force lead by Max took flank drawing their assault rifles aiming through the smoke at the enemy. Henry's presence and command let people filled into the tunnels with precision.

Charlie followed last after planting a fair amount of explosive on the outside of the tunnel. The force of the explosion rocked the tunnel causing dust, dirt, and debris to fall from the ceiling. Light flickering in through the entrance disappeared. Rubble covered the entrance leaving only one path to take.

"Good job sealing the entrance Lt. Compton. Sgt. Malarkey can you try to access the sewer systems maintenance records for a map or at least a location?" Henry looked over his people assessing the situation. At least everyone was safe for the moment. Taking a second Henry weighted the options available to him.

"Well we're safe for the moment. You got a plan or you playing this out by the seat of your pants as usual sir?" Looking at Henry waiting for an answer Max wore his worry on his face. Activating the neural implant to accessing nearby wireless systems Kendra began surveying the map of the tunnels.

"Max you would think after ten years with me you'd stop doubting me. You know my ability to assess any situation tactically." Henry smiled back at Capt. Anderson question.

"Someone has to keep you honest sir. We'll assume you have a plan to deal with the situation. Do you care to inform the rest of us of the details of your plan?" Max placed his hand on his friends shoulder leaning in. Downloading the sewer schematics Kendra turned to the group with a holoemitter in hand.

"We've got some problems. Where we crashed put us in a part of the sewer that only exits in one spot. This tunnel is a one way drainage pipe." Kendra uploaded the schematics of the sewer plans to a holoemitter she held. The holoemitter lit up displaying the location of the team on the sewer map grid. Kendra pointed to the exit on the map.

"That's an ambush for sure" Charlie stated with confidence.

"Thanks for pointing out the obvious Charlie" Max retorted.

"None of you sense a strategic purpose to everything that has happened?" Henry remained calm glancing at his team with confidence. The team froze turning to their commander staring at them. Everyone waited for Henry to explain the situation.

"The attack on the plane was a precision job that damaged only the engine. It would be far easier to just destroy us in the air with overwhelming firepower. Now we are forced into a sewer with only one exit. The soldiers who found us didn't fire upon us or make any aggressive maneuver against us. We are being maneuvered to this location for some unknown reason. Any of you care to guess that reason?" The entire group of people just stared with disbelief at Henry Williams.