To Put Things Simple, I Love You: Embry Call Imprint - 21

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

I rolled over onto my side, groaning as I saw the time on my alarm clock.

4:28am.

Yikes, guess I hit the snooze button more times then I thought I did.

Oops.

Lazily, I sat up in bed, squinting as I looked around my room. 

Its Tuesday morning. Which means we're headed in to Seattle today.  

I can't wait! New phones, and just getting out for a change. 

Sure, I love being at the beach with our friends, but actually going somewhere is exciting. 

I could already hear Mom bustling about, getting my brothers up, and making sure she has a bag packed, 'just in case'. She's always so prepared. Tom doesn't have to go into the hospital today, so naturally..he's coming. 

Mom's SUV, has every single seat occuppied. Even the third row. And the minivan, which Tom is driving, that we rented for the trip. Mom rented one of those cool ones with the seats that swivel, and has the table that comes up from the floor, so that we could face each other and play cards instead of staring at the back of each others heads. 

This could be a fun road trip, or just another one of those cases where everyone gets cranky because of the lack of leg room. 

All I know is, I am NOT sitting in the front seat. Whoever sits there is always the one to run out, fill gas, and get everyone what they want from the store. 

No thanks. 

I threw together some clothes and neccessities, only because Mom said so.

"Hey Lanz, showers free, if you wanted to use it" Chris said, knocking on my door. 

"Thanks, I'll be out in a sec" 

"Sure thing." 

How my brothers managed to get up and dressed before me, I had no idea. 

But at least they scurried out of the bathroom in time for moi.

***

"Alright, who else are we waiting on?"

"Uhh, I think we're just waiting on Jake, Em, and Quil to get here." Seth said, sitting sideways in the backseat of the SUV.

"Right then" Tom nodded. 

I sat on the porch steps, chewing gum, and blowing spontaneous bubbles, one earphone in my ear, the other dangling down my shirt.

Leah, who was seated beside me, picked up the other earphone and plugged in.

"Cool song" she noted, moving her head to the rhythm.

"Very" I added, raising both my eyebrows in agreement.

She just laughed.

My eyes locked with Seth's, and out of nowhere, he stuck his tongue out at me.

I mirrored his actions, laughing a little.

Paul and Jared were lazing on the patio chairs, while Colin and Brady tossed a football back and forth. Standing really, really far apart. 

The sound of the front door opening caused Leah and I to turn around, only to find my Mom coming out of the house.

"Are we all set to go?" she asked.

"Not quite, we're three goons short" Leah said, all seriousness in her voice. 

The guys chuckled at that.

"What the crap! Bout time you decided to come, we were just about to leave without you" Paul called out, catching the football two centimeters from his face.

"You'd seriously leave without us?" Quil asked, obviously not getting the joke.

"Yeah..anyways, can we go now?" Jared rolled his eyes.

"Yes, please. Ok, in car one riding with me:

Chris [✔] 

Colin [✔] 

Brady[✔] 

Paul [✔] 

and Jared[✔]

And in car two, riding with Tom:

Jacob[✔] 

Quil[✔] 

Leah[✔] 

Seth[✔] 

Lana[✔] 

and Embry[✔]" Mom called out from this 'list' in front of her.

At the mention of Embry's name, I felt a tug on the inside. It was wierd, and caused me to look up, only to find his eyes staring right back into mine. I was filled with warmth, and the sudden need to smile at him, and want to wrap my arms around him.

Whoa, whats happening to me?

I shook my head, as if to clear my mind, and smiled at him.

He returned it. Only, it was the most dazzling smile I'd ever seen. Melting even the hardest of stones and coldest of hearts.

My breath caught in my throat, rattling my train of thought.

This boy will be the end of me.

"Shotgun!" Seth called out, causing me to snap back to the here and now. 

Chris did the same for the car he was riding in.

One by one, we all climed into our respective cars, ready for the long trip ahead of us. 

After locking the house, Tom got in the drivers seat, making sure everyone was seated and secure. 

Jake and Quil turned the seats so that we were all facing each other, and had lifted the table from the floor of the van.

"6:37..not bad." He said, checking the time on the radio.

"Just follow close behind, and you should be fine sweetie" I could hear Mom calling out to Tom from her seat in the SUV as she circled the car, pulling out of the driveway.

"You got it" Tom answered.

And with that, we were off to Seattle.